TOPIC:

Family history research 3 years 9 months ago #69638

• Luck
  • Luck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi,
I am trying to establish whether my Great Uncle served in SA during the Boer War.
He served in the Royal Irish Regiment and is Remembered with Honour having been killed in action whilst serving in France in WW1.
Unfortunately I have very little detail regarding his service but my research leads me to believe that he may also have been in service during the Boer War.
I am hopeful that the expertise within this community will be able to tell me if it was possible for him to have served under two different service numbers ?
My uncle was called Cornelius O'Neill and he was Private 2008, 6th Bn, Royal Irish Regiment when he served in WW1.
I am trying to establish if he is the same C. O'Neill 6664, 1st Bn Royal Irish that served in the Boer War.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Family history research 3 years 9 months ago #69644

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
FROM FIND MY PAST...…

First name(s) C
Last name O'neill
Service number 6664
Rank Private
Regiment 1 Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment
Rolls WO100/326 page 71
Year 1899-1902
Biography - Event detail - Wounded Dangerously on 19/03/1902 at Lydenburg
Event unit 1 Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment

Gazetteer
[2530: 2505-3028] a town and district in the South African Republic (Lydenburg district; Mpumalanga), 32 km west of Sabie. The town and district furnished a commando for the Boer forces (Cmdt P.D. Moll; Cmdt D.J. Schoeman, Cmdt A.F. du Toit, Cmdt M.P. Taute; Cmdt W.R. Collins; Cmdt P.A. Dames). The town was surrendered to Capt Chetwode with a squadron of the 19th (Princess of Wales's Own) Hussars from the 2nd cavalry brigade of the Natal Army by the sheriff on 6 September 1900. As it was continually under fire from a 155 mm Creusot cannon, 'Long Tom', sited on Paardeplaats (1)* to the east, an attack was mounted on that farm two days later. Gen Sir R.H. Buller completed his sweep through Spitz Kop (1)* and Pilgrims' Rest* when he reentered the town from Krugerspost* on 2 October. It was here that Buller received orders to relinquish his command to Lt-Gen the Hon N.G. Lyttelton. Lyttelton posted a garrison here with Maj-Gen F.W. Kitchener having responsibility for clearing the district. During April-September 1901, one of his three columns, that commanded by Col C.W. Park, was positioned here. On 25 August there was an unauthorised discussion in Lydenburg between Maj-Gen Sir Bindon Blood and Asst Cmdt-Gen B.J. Viljoen. On 25 January 1902, Viljoen was ambushed and captured near Lydenburg. Lydenburg was the terminus of a line of blockhouses from Machadodorp* designed to protect supply-convoys. It was the location of a white concentration refugee camp. HMG III pp.408, 421 and 425 (map no.49), IV pp.140-141, 211, 216, 304 and 381; Times IV p.463 (map of the Transvaal in the end pocket), V pp.400 and 425 (map facing p.464); Cd.819; Burnett pp.110115 (map facing p.244).

Event source SAFF
Event notes Explosion of bomb thrown by Boers
Country Great Britain
Notes KSA Clasps: SA01,SA02
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Category Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory Boer Wars

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Family history research 3 years 9 months ago #69661

• Luck
  • Luck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you very much for this detailed information.
I have now looked at the WO100 record that you mentioned.
Can you advise what further steps I can take to get more specific details for Private O'Neill 6664, I am trying to establish an address, date or place of birth?
I am very much "grasping at straws" as the only thing that appears to connect the two men that I mention is their name and their connection to the Royal Irish Regiment.
Many thanks
Eileen Luck

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds