Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Israel (Edwin) Jeater and George Mansfield Robinson 3 years 10 months ago #69771

• Robbo48
  • Robbo48's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm a new member from Adelaide in South Australia.

I am hoping to find out information regarding my grandfather Israel Jeater born in October 1874 in Norwood London but may have enlisted under the name of Edwin Jeater whom I have been told served in the 4th Dragoon Guards in India before seeing service in South Africa in the 6th Dragoon Guards. I have also been told he received medals for service in both India (1897-1898) and South Africa and was discharged after being wounded in action.

Also my husband John's grandfather George Mansfield Robinson born in Kent England in 1863 served in South Africa as part of the Australian 3rd NSW Imperial Bushmen's Unit. He is listed as a Sargent Major with F Company who departed Sydney Australia in April 1900 aboard the troop transport "American" . In June 1900 George was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred to the 6th NSW Imperial Bushman Unit .
He returned to Australia in August 1902 aboard troop ship "Drayton Grange". We have his Kings & Queens medals plus 4 bars for - Transvaal, Cape Colony, Orange Free State & Rhodesia.
Helen Robinson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Israel (Edwin) Jeater and George Mansfield Robinson 3 years 10 months ago #69779

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Helen
Welcome to the Forum. Regarding your GF, on my "Cavalry" CD, I see that "5095 Pte. E. Jeater of 6th Dragoon Gds" was slightly wounded at Geluck on 24/8/00. His QSA medal bore the clasps "Cape Colony". "Orange Free State", "Johannesburg", "Diamond Hill", and "Belfast". The doings of 6th DG in South Africa can be accessed on this site by going to "unit information" and trawling for that unit. To confirm any award of the medal for India, perhaps you might check one of the commercial on-line sites?
You are very fortunate to be the custodians of the QSA/KSA pair to Lt. G.M.Robinson. According to the Oz_Boer database, his background was "military instructor" and his commission was from 22/6/01. He also had service with 2NSWMR as a supernumary. His QSA was issued from the 6th NSWIB roll and his KSA was issued from the 3NSWIB roll. I have a particular interest in the 6th NSWIB; a crack unit with an enviable role in the field.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Robbo48

Israel (Edwin) Jeater and George Mansfield Robinson 3 years 10 months ago #69792

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Welcome Helen,

I looked for service papers as I Jeater but did not find any and there are none for that service number.
Dr David Biggins

Israel (Edwin) Jeater and George Mansfield Robinson 3 years 10 months ago #69793

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
FindMyPast does have 2 entries for Edwin Jeater.

His service papers will give you more information on his service as well as biographical data. The service records can be accessed on line for a a cost.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Israel (Edwin) Jeater and George Mansfield Robinson 3 years 10 months ago #69794

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
He enlisted 21 May 1891.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Israel (Edwin) Jeater and George Mansfield Robinson 3 years 10 months ago #69795

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The short account of the 6th Dragoon Guards in South Africa mentioned by IL.

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...6-6th-dragoon-guards
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds