• Page:

TOPIC:

Marriage between Boers and British 3 years 9 months ago #69927

• jancoggins
  • jancoggins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm new to this site and am exploring my grandparents. My grandmother, Melvina Henrietta Ahrens born I believe in Klerksdorp, married my grandfather, Harrie Clark Coggins - an Australian fighting in the Boer War - in Klerksdorp in 1904. I have found a Melvina Ahrens listed as daughter of Jacoba Alida Ahrens (widowed) in a concentration camp in Klerksdorp in 1901. I don't know if this is indeed her or 'another' Melvina Ahrens. If it is her, did they meet in the concentration camp? I can find NO information on my Grandmother apart from marriage.I am seeing in a prayer book given to her, a brothers name of H B (or A B) Fontein in 1897. How does this work! My grandparents had a couple of their children in South Africa but not my father. They came to Australia to live. I'd like to know her parents names and more of her younger days. Well anything really. I have an album of faded sepia photos from South Africa but no references on them. Where can I start looking? Any help gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marriage between Boers and British 3 years 9 months ago #69935

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Welcome to the forum, Jan,

It looks like H C Coggins finished the Boer War as a lieutenant in the 3rd NSW Imperial Bushmen having been a sergeant, number 125, in the 6th NSW Bushmen.

There are a few records for him in the National Archives of Australia:

COGGINS HARRIE CLARK : Service Number - V350735 : Date of birth - 31 Dec 1884 : Place of birth - WOOLLAHRA NSW : Place of enlistment - ROYAL PARK VIC : Next of Kin - COGGINS MELVENA

He filed for sequestration in 1916: search.records.nsw.gov.au/primo-explore/...e%20coggins&offset=0

There is a second man of this name, a son perhaps? COGGINS HARRIE CLARK : Service Number - NX55494 : Date of birth - 25 Aug 1912 : Place of birth - PARRAMATTA NSW : Place of enlistment - PADDINGTON NSW : Next of Kin - COGGINS CONSTANCE

Perhaps someone like Rhino research would be able to help more directly with your query as they are based in SA? www.angloboerwar.com/contacts/3-rhino-research-in-south-africa
Dr David Biggins

Marriage between Boers and British 3 years 9 months ago #69936

• jancoggins
  • jancoggins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you David. Yes that is my grandfather and my father (Constance being his first wife, not my mother. I appreciate your reply. Jan

Marriage between Boers and British 3 years 9 months ago #69940

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 719
You probably have this:
Miss Melvina Ahrens Marital status: single
Nationality: Transvaal
Camp: Klerksdorp
Age on arrival: 19 years Date arrival: 29/08/1901
Tent number: RT 67/1461
Farm Name: Rietfontein District: Lichtenburg
Miss Melvina Ahrens is the daughter of Mrs Jacoba Alida Ahrens
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Marriage between Boers and British 3 years 9 months ago #69944

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Jan
Oz-Boer database shows him as "125 L/Cpl. Henry Harrie Clark, F. Coy., NSWIB, Sgt., 23/7/00, Lt., 22/6/01, supernumary 2NSWMR." Shipping Agent, born 1876, Woollahara, NSW. .Many of the NSWIB had group photographs published in "The Town and Country" newspaper; his section of "F" Coy. shows him as No.32 - attached

Not a very good photo, I fear.
His promotion was announced in NSW Army Orders of 23/12/01 - attached is the relevant cut

Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.562 seconds