Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Royal Bucks Hussars, Imperial Yeomanry 1901, Anglo Boer War 3 years 9 months ago #70055

• ABWLINNELL
  • ABWLINNELL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone, I am looking for information on the 37th Company, Xth Imperial Yeomanry, Royal Bucks Hussars from 190O/1901 in the Anglo Boer War. I have my grandfathers Diary, (C.W.LINNELL) and his photo Album and I am looking for further information that I can compile with it to add to this bit of family history. He, himself, came from Silverstone and was with a group of others from Towcester within this Company and we are also interested in tracing them as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, LINNELL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Royal Bucks Hussars, Imperial Yeomanry 1901, Anglo Boer War 3 years 8 months ago #70564

• BerkshireT
  • Thank you received: 9
Hello Linnell, I have a keen interest in the Bucks Hussars as they served with the 39th Coy is same 10th Bn and later in WW1 and into WW2 so in many ways a 'sister regiment' to the Berkshire Yeomanry (the regiment I mainly follow).

Trooper Charles  Linnell  4870, 37th Coy., 10th Bn. I.Y. was in the 1st contingent which sailed on the steamship SS Norman Prince from Southampton Sailed on 11th Feb 1900. The journey to South Africa is well documents in the book "With Lord Methuen in South Africa February 1900 to June 1901" by H. S..GASKELL, M.B., CK.B.- 38 Coy 10th Battalion Bucks IY.
The activities of 10th Battalion are well documented across a number of publications so while none are very good (they are mostly based on diary's and lots of reference to weather and food but little locations, dates and events) so you need to read a lot and draw the detail together.
He will almost certainly have 4-6 pages of "service papers' available which are interesting and usually available on "Find my Past" which give general enlistment details.
The best souse for what happened is at the Buckinghamshire Records Office which is an excellent Free resource.
I have been there several times and there is loads to see and view. They hold the Bucks Yeomanry museum archive as there is no longer an official museum. There are several published accounts from members of the 10th Bn of which I have some but not all.
I would be very pleased to see the photo album and have a photo album of 38th Coy (High Wycombe) and lots of photos before they left.
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Royal Bucks Hussars, Imperial Yeomanry 1901, Anglo Boer War 3 years 8 months ago #70568

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Welcome ABWLinell,

As BerkshireT says, his IY attestation papers are available online or at the National Archives.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ABWLINNELL

Royal Bucks Hussars, Imperial Yeomanry 1901, Anglo Boer War 3 years 8 months ago #70570

• ABWLINNELL
  • ABWLINNELL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks for this...

Royal Bucks Hussars, Imperial Yeomanry 1901, Anglo Boer War 3 years 8 months ago #70588

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: BerkshireT

Royal Bucks Hussars, Imperial Yeomanry 1901, Anglo Boer War 3 years 8 months ago #70596

• BerkshireT
  • Thank you received: 9
Well done Linell, When I first read this book it was translated online using a scanner and contained a lot of errors, so I had to correct it as I went. It occurs to me that the book was not written as a regimental account of events but more from daily notes from a diary. However there are enough clues to know who "Sgt A" is and where they were at the time. The dates are also not clear and so its takes some working out. What I wanted to do is re-write the book with annotations and add pictures as there is a lot available. The ship, docks, leaving parade, return, and much more. We are fortunate with Bucks Hussars and the 10th Bn in general in that there is a lot available so it would be possible to edit the book and annotate throughout. There is also a huge amount missing from the book like an account of the actions and names of casualties. Its only when you put the memoirs into context of what was going around them that it moves from a daily routing into a "history" for the Company? Like everything else I spent a little time on it and then other events took over ... and now I reflect back!

Wayne

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds