Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Battle of Tweeksbrough 7th March 1902 3 years 8 months ago #70242

• BerkshireT
  • BerkshireT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
I have a newspaper article reporting "D J. Waters 24910 Derby Telegraph 26 May 1902 in relation to Battle of Tweeksbrough 7th March 1902 where the British were defeated at the Battle of Tweebosch or De Klipdrift on 7 March 1902 and had 68 killed, 121 wounded and 205 captured (including general Lord Methuen).
Waters was 39th Coy, 10th Bn and I checked the Casualty Roll and none of his Coy appeared to have ben casualties... and yet the news paper report says they fought to the last bullet.
How can I find out who the casualties were please? It seems strange that they say te=hey fought hard and yet had no casualties so I must be missing something?
Thank you for advice
Wayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battle of Tweeksbrough 7th March 1902 3 years 8 months ago #70243

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Wayne
You are quite correct, the 39th Coy., IY had no casualties at Tweebosch/KlipDrift on 7/3/1902. The IY units present at Tweebosch were the 86th Coy and the 43rd Coy. Numbering about 300 all-ranks between them, they suffered 40 killed and wounded. Many of the other units present suffered considerably; the Cape Police lost 40 killed and wounded out of 233 all-ranks and the two batteries of the RFA present (4th and 38th) lost heavily.
You can access the casualty returns for Tweebosch in the second quarter of the SAFF Casualty Lists for 1902.
Concerning the report in the Derby Telegraph (quoting D.J.Waters of 39th Coy., IY), perhaps not too much should be made of the mis-spelling of "Tweeksborough" for Tweebosch. The chaps in the field may have been unaware of the place names in the district - or else used a phonetic "equivalent". As well, Pte Waters may have been speaking generically in referring to the yeoman at Tweebosch - an IY man himself, he may have known comrades of the 43rd and 86th Coys. In any case, then as now, newspaper reports can be inaccurate.
Will Bennett's "Absent Minded Beggars" devotes several pages to the events leading up to the disaster at Tweebosch and they are well worth a read. He says that the 86th Coy "fled without firing a shot". He further comments that the 86th were a raw draft and were unfit to take the field.
My interest in Tweebosch stems from being a custodian of a QSA to a Sgt. in Ashburner's LH who was posted missing after Tweebosch; whose body was never found and a Court of Enquiry later found was "dead".
SAFF records quite a few who suffered the same "official" fate.
Regards
IL.

Battle of Tweeksbrough 7th March 1902 3 years 8 months ago #70270

• BerkshireT
Thank you

If the 39th Coy were not directly involved than maybe Sgt D.J. Waters was with another Company at the time? He's named as a private on Asplins book and Im wondering if he was promoted in a different Coy? I am the custodian of his QSA and its named to Sgt and the newspaper article confirms this. Its unlikely he would say he was at the battle as being captured and sent home with no cloths is not "bragging rights"?

A Derby Soldiers Exciting Experience – The Capture of Lord Methuen.
Mr J. Constantine has received the following interesting letter from his old Sunday scholars, Sergeant D.J. Waters, with Col. Von Donop’s column:- Dear Sir, It is now 12 months since I last wrote you. I must first thank you for your kind reply. Since that time many and varied things have happened to me. I re-joined General Lord Methuen’s column as soon as I got better. We had been operating in the Marico and Western Transvaal district. Most of the men have say they have had 14 months of very hard work. There have been times when I have felt completely exhausted, although I have fought against sleep and hunger, but nature has mastered, officers and men alike riding fast asleep for long distances, sometimes to be wakened very abruptly by their horse stumbling over ant hills and ant bear holes. My experiences of this sort of thing is very unpleasant, the nerves being tried by the continuous long night marches, sometimes far into the next day: then, just as day is dawning perhaps, which seems to be the recognised time for striking by all Boers, we suddenly become engaged with the enemy, No wonder sleepy men become all life, and sleepiness vanishes at the “ping pong” and “kiss” and “zin-g” as the bullets fly about us. These little messengers make several different sounds in their flight. The “ping” is when the bullet flies past the head or body, the “kiss” is when it strikes about the horse’s legs, and the “zin-g” is when is passes high over us. The positions are then taken up by the respective regiments according to where the enemy are located, whilst cannons come into place and
Lyddite guns pour forth their deadly projectiles with precision and roar: Pom Poms bark like monster angry dogs amid the crackling of rifle fire until the enemy are dislodged, and ride away through the bush and county they know so well. The killed and wounded are collected by the ambulance men, and the column resumes its march to a place where water is available and camp is formed, I am pleased to say the almighty has seen fit to spare me through many tight places, At times we have been chatting as we rode along, when men on either side of me have been killed or wounded. I am sorry to say we have lost very many men during the times we have been here. I came from Lichtenburg to Mafeking in the early part of this year, as my horse had been shot. I stayed in Mafeking two or three weeks, when with only half an hour an hours’ notice, horse, saddle and equipment were provided, and I was on trek again. Lord Methuen took all details of mounted
Men and three companies of the North Lancashire Infantry and 4th and 38th section of artillery. We joined Major Paris’s column at Vryburg, making a total strength of 1,200 or thereabouts all told. We had only been out four days when, just at dawn on the fourth morning, the enemy came upon us in very large numbers dressed in Khaki. Naturally we took them for our men, and consequently they were not fired upon until they were within 700 or 800 yards. However they would have been beaten off but for the cowardice, composed of some colonial Corps belonging to Paris’s column, composed of Dutchmen who had fought against us in the earlier part of the war. Surrendered to us, and then joined these Colonial Regiments. As soon as they saw the enemy coming upon us in a large force, they galloped away and left us to it, which lead to disaster to the whole column. We fought for hours. I used all my ammunition, and could not move an inch from where I was lying, as the dead and wounded lay very thickly, and it was death to move. Out of 37 men of one battery only nine were left, and our Corps seemed worse than that. Lord Methuen and the principle medical officer were wounded, and together with Lord Paris were taken prisoners. The few who were left were overpowered, and also taken captive. Delarey and Kemp were in command, and took very good care of Lord Methuen, who was taken onto Klerksdorp and handed over to our people. It was fearer that his leg would have to be amputated, as it was very badly wounded. It is a pleasure to say Delarey and Kemp behaved with kindness to our men, but when these officers were not present the Boers were most insulting to our men. They took all my clothes and boots and we found it dreadful and enough to drive men mad without hats, boots and even shirts. We had to make our way back to Vryburg and Craipan Sidings living on mealies and water when we could get it. What an awful sight we must have looked when we arrived back at Mafeking!
I have not said anything about the burying of the dead and the treatment of the wounded as space will not allow me. We were refitted at Mafeking, and sent round to Klerksdorp by tain. When we arrived there they said over 50,000 troops had been pouring in day and night for over a week. We were on the trek again after Delarey, and were in the saddle 27 ½ hours doing 100 miles, travelling all night. Late the following night we recaptured our guns and wagons, and captured a few prisoners. Rain fell for days and through having no shelter, I have had rheumatic fever. I shall probably be well on my way home by the time you receive this.

Id be interested of any views as to why Waters was part of the column? Maybe he was just gathered up as an available man when he got his new horse given him?
Wayne

Battle of Tweeksbrough 7th March 1902 3 years 8 months ago #70563

• BerkshireT
Does anyone else have a QSA which has a rank different to the medal role? A friend said it may not be unusual...
My knowledge is based on WW1 where the medal index card was used for reference. In this case I assume the Medal Role would be the reference so I'm stumped as to why the medal I have is named to Sergeant while his substantive rank appears to be Private. The newspaper articles refers to Sergeant but then the same man wrote the article...
I like to think he would not lie about his rank as surely something like that would be easily found out so why would anyone consider a charade? Its a mystery to me!

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds