Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New guy intro. 8 months 2 weeks ago #91549

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881

[email protected] wrote: A picture of my small eclectic UK collection.

Good Luck as everyone has to start somewhere....... Purchased my first QSA/KSA pair in the 1960's........

An Old Saying........

To have one of an item is nice, 2 of an item is a collection, 3 of an item is the beginning of an obsession...... Welcome to the obsession.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New guy intro. 8 months 1 week ago #91558

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 763
And a glorious obsession it is too!!

Welcome to the forum Ken.

Do you have any regiments or battles of the Anglo Boer War that are of particular interest to you?
You have certainly come to the right place to learn more about them.

Cheers Steve

New guy intro. 8 months 1 week ago #91574

Honestly. I'm too new to the subject to have formed any sort of focus yet. Previously I had read the chapter on it in Byron Farwell's "Queen Victoria's Little Wars", but that was about it. I was always more of a WW I and WW II kind of guy. Then I recently listened to Audible versions of "The Great Angle-Boer War", Byron Farwell, and "The Boer War" Martin Bossenbroek. (I live in Southern California and have a lengthy commute to/from work; so I tend to listen to books now instead of read them). Those books got me hooked, and I'll definitely be looking to do more reading. Any suggestions are welcome. I guess I should read Doyle's and Churchill's accounts.

My QSA/KSA pair has the generic OFS, TRVL, and CC clasps so they don't really lead me down anything specific. But the single QSA I have does have the Laing's Nek clasp, so that'll be a rabbit hole for me to go down for a while.....at least until I get another QSA or QSA/KSA with a different clasp or something specific catches my attention in a book.

New guy intro. 7 months 4 weeks ago #91821

Mike (QSAMIKE), I had to laugh as I selected "Complete Purchase"......I bought my 3rd QSA medal yesterday. Obsession here I come. For the past 50+ years I was primarily motivated by variety,...."I don't need a dozen WW1 victory medals, they all look the same unless you pop on the cheaters and look at the edge". Yeah I have quite a few 1914 Iron Cross 2nd classes, but those came as a freebie with the other Imperial German medals I was purchasing. I guess I can justify the new obsession saying the variety is still there in the combination of clasps....

I can see the quantity of QSA in my collection outpacing my 1914 Iron Crosses quickly....if only they QSA was economical as the Iron Cross.

New guy intro. 7 months 4 weeks ago #91823

"djb"...speaking of QSA and 1914 Iron Crosses.....I of course couldn't help notice your Avatar (or whatever the image associated with your profile is called)....that is the Dogs Bollocks! There can't have been many of those. Do you have any idea how many of that combo potentially exist?

New guy intro. 7 months 4 weeks ago #91826

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4528
ksjhrs,

I am not sure how rare that pair is. I would expect there to be more combinations like that but I have not seen any.

The pair is to Alexander Von Stosch. It is very likely that he is entitled to more medals: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...nder-von-stosch#6689

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds