TOPIC:

Introduction and questions 7 months 1 week ago #92048

• RogerP
  • RogerP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi all,
A few years ago I researched the 3 soldiers on the Boer War memorial in my local parish churchyard (Cove, Hampshire, UK) - they all died from illness or disease. Then life intervened and I haven't had any more contact with the Boer War until very recently when I foolishly volunteered to do a talk on the subject to the military history group of my local U3A. Fortunately I have 3 months to prepare.

I am fortunate in being not too far from the Aldershot public library which has an extensive military section including quite a collection on the AB war but I need some direction. I also have a specific question. I have been listening to the Des Latham podcasts where, amongst other things, he lays stress on the mobility of Boer forces and the use of black labourers to dig trenches (this is in the first months of the war during General Redvers Buller's attempts to relieve Ladysmith). I am wondering how to reconcile these two facts. Did the Boers issue their labourers with horses or was it the case that in this phase of the war rapid mobility wasn't really an important factor?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction and questions 7 months 1 week ago #92078

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Welcome to the Forum, Roger.

While the Boers were highly mobile they also recognised that that tactic would not help them to defend the British approaches to Ladysmith, Kimberley, Paardeberg or to defeat Mafeking and so they deployed locally available labour to dig defensive trenches for them. Some of these, such as at Magersfontein, were innovatively designed and used very effectively. If these trenches had served their purpose or proved untenable, the Boers could ride away to avoid unnecessary losses. Those who had dug the trenches would tend to stay.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogerP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds