Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

WALTER PARSONS - DEFENCE OF MAFEKING 7 months 1 week ago #93824

• Peter Jordi
  • Peter Jordi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 41
Hi

Cpl. Walter Parsons of 'D' Squadron of the Protectorate Regiment returned to Eastbourne after the siege where he gave lectures about his experiences. In an article referring to him published in the Eastbourne Gazette on 12 December 1900 it mentions an extract from his diary compiled during the siege. It is clear that he was involved in the action on 14 October 1899, the bayonet charge on 27 October 1899 and at Game Tree Fort on 26 December 1899.

Does anyone know if his diary survives?

Best regards
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WALTER PARSONS - DEFENCE OF MAFEKING 7 months 1 week ago #93826

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4718
Peter,

I have not seen his diary during my Mafeking research I am sorry to say.

In case it helps. this is what I have on him.

Born Malvern, Worcestershire, England c 1872. To South Africa c 1887. Enlisted in the CMR (2091 Private, No 7 Troop) in King William’s Town, 23 October 1890. Discharged as a worthless character, 22 August 1892. Trooper, Salisbury Horse, during the Matabele War 1893. Trooper, Matabeleland Relief Force, Matabele Relief Force in the Matabele Rebellion, 1896 (BSACM Matabeleland 1893 (1) Rhodesia 1896). Enlisted in the PRFF 23 August 1899 and posted to D Squadron. Age 26. Trade: Electrician. NOK: Sister, Lockwood Grange, Arundel, Eastbourne, Sussex. Corporal, 2 September 1899. Sergeant, 8 September 1899. Participated in the tilting competition at the gymkhana meeting, 3 December 1899 (MM025, 4 December). Reduced to the ranks, 17 December 1899, for being drunk. Noted for gallantry, 26 December 1899. Corporal, 1 February 1900. Credited with the limerick: 'There is an old Colonel named Hore, Whose dugout's the best in the Corps, When the shells fly about, We shout 'hello' look out! and we see the old beggar no more' (Hosking, 2 February). Discharged 20 October 1900. Character very good. On 12 December 1900 the Eastbourne Gazette featured an article on his experiences during the siege of Mafeking. He also delivered a lecture at the Drill Hall at Westham on the siege. Also served Clanwilliam Remount Depot (Conductor) and Clanwillian Convoy Guard (Lieutenant) 4 July 1901 to 31 May 1902. KSA from Clanwilliam Convoy Guard.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Jordi, Moranthorse1, Gustavo Alvarez

WALTER PARSONS - DEFENCE OF MAFEKING 7 months 5 days ago #93930

• Peter Jordi
  • Peter Jordi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 41
Dear David

Thank you very much for the additional information you've provided. I understand that Parsons went to live in Natal in 1904 and received the Natal 1906 medal. He apparently served in German South West Africa in the Great War and later as a Second Lieutenant the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, being wounded at Ginchy.

Best regards
Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds