• Page:

TOPIC:

Arthur Taylor Shropshire Volunteers WW1 ASC 3 months 3 days ago #95720

• 2li0
  • 2li0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 16
Lates find
(7414) Pte Arthur Taylor
bn. Lingen, near Presteigne, Radnorshire, around Attested at Hereford into the 1st Volunteer Service Company (Hereford Rifle Volunteers)., joined at Shrewsbury On the 15 March 1900, for service in South Africa from the 11 May 1900 to 9 May 1901,
Wounded in the railway accident at Frederickstad on the 30 July 1900.
WW1 service S4/157799, WO2, from the 12 November 1915; discharged 12 April 1918; medal entitlement QSA medal with clasps: CC./O.F.S./Traan./S/A/1901 claps: WW1 War & Victory medals also awarded the Special Constabulary Police Medal GV.
Service papers & medal rolls
Missing silver war badge 344581

Can anyone with an interest in the Special Constabulary Police Medal GV. Help with more about this mans service in the Police
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Arthur Taylor Shropshire Volunteers WW1 ASC 3 months 3 days ago #95722

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1583
2lio
According to an old copy of the Medal Year Book, the SCLS medal was awarded to all ranks in the SC for nine years unpaid service, with more than fifty duties per annum. War service with at least fifty duties counted triple. A clasp inscribed The Great War 1914-1918 was awarded to those who qualified for the medal during that conflict. Clasps inscribed Long Service, with the date, were/are awarded for additional ten year periods.
As your man appears not to have qualified for the Great War clasp, I have not transcribed the special conditions so required.
I suppose a medal roll for the SCLS medal must exist; or perhaps an award was announced in the London Gazette?
As a matter of interest, I have a DCM group of three which contains a SCLS with Great War clasp. I once tried to research the SCLSM but did not get vey far.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2li0

Arthur Taylor Shropshire Volunteers WW1 ASC 3 months 2 days ago #95734

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 830
2li0,
Nice to pick up a medal to a resident of Radnorshire, albeit just a stone's throw into Wales from the border.
The modern population of Radnorshire is around 170,000, about the same as a small town in England.
So men serving in South Africa and living in the county are few and far between.
Cheers Steve

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds