Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anglo Boer War 1899-1902 3 months 6 hours ago #95762

During research on my family history I discovered that my maternal Grandfather John Balfour Braid fought in the Anglo Boer War. He was recruited into 3rd battalion of the Scots Guards age 19 in 1901. He was awarded the Queen's South Africa medal and the Cape Colony Medal 1901-1902 his service record mentioned he was attached to GDS mounted infantry (help required what is this?) In the 1901 census he appears as a patient at the Herbert Hospital (presumably he was injured during his service in SA). He later returned to service in the Cameroonians (Scottish Rifles) and was discharged from that unit in 1916. I would like to find his medals. I am not aware of them being in the family.
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anglo Boer War 1899-1902 2 months 4 weeks ago #95776

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1583
David
Welcome to the Forum. Basically, a Mounted Infantryman is a soldier who rides a horse or pony into action, dismounts and engages the enemy. A cavalryman, in contrast, generally fights from horseback. Mounted Infantry (M.I.) were extensively used during the ABW. I suggest you have a look for Spiers' "The Late Victorian Army 1868 - 1902" for more detail on the MI concept and implementation during 1899-1902.
A glance at the Scots' Guards medal roll for the ABW (WO100/165 page 261) shows your GF Pte. J.B. Braid as being a member of No.1 Coy. Scots' Guards, Guards Mounted Infantry; his section being commanded by Lt. C.W.Coke. As you say, his QSA clasp entitlement was three, CC, SA1901 and SA1902. His regimental number was 3346.
The aforementioned Lt. Coke is noted elsewhere as having active service in Cape Colony between 12/1901 and 5/1902 - so it is reasonable to assume that so long as your GF remained with No.1 Coy., his service would have been similar to that of his officer.
Good luck with your quest to find your GF's medals.
Regards
IL.

Anglo Boer War 1899-1902 2 months 4 weeks ago #95780

Hi Linney, thank you so much for that information. I am now very interested in the subject of Anglo Boer War and will find and read the research that you recommended.
Kind regards,
David

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds