Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pvt William Fletcher or Pvt T Fletcher 8111 Royal West Surrey Regt 1 month 3 weeks ago #96252

• Horselllad
  • Horselllad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
hello I am researching my family history and seek any information I can gather on my Grandfathers Uncle who served in the Royal West Surrey Regt and died at Deelfontain from disease on 28th September 1900, apart from that I know little. I know his number was 8111 as that was engraved on his QSA Medal that was unfortunately stolen in a burglary at my brothers house.
Any assistance gratefully received
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pvt William Fletcher or Pvt T Fletcher 8111 Royal West Surrey Regt 1 month 3 weeks ago #96256

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 930
Welcome to the Forum.

Militia attestation papers can be found on Find My Past for 8111 Thomas Fletcher born in Woking, Surrey. The earliest set dated 25th October 1893 are for service in the 3rd (Militia) Battalion of the Royal West Surrey Regiment. His age was given as 17 years 8 months.

A later set for service in the Militia Reserve dated 11th July 1899 by when his age was given as 23 years 5 months. These two ages reconcile and indicate he was born very early in 1876. The second set gives his address as “Maybury Inn, Maybury Hill, Woking”.

The second set shows he reported for annual training in 1894, 1895 & 1896 but was absent for the next two years and “temporarily unfit” in 1899. On 4th December 1899 he was embodied meaning he rejoined the Militia. A note has been added that he died at Deelfontein on 28th September 1900 but no further details of his South African service are given.

A transcribed record confirms he died in the Imperial Yeomanry Hospital at Deelfontein and he is commemorated in Holy Trinity Church in Guildford along with other members of the West Surrey Regiment who died during the Second Boer War.

The QSA Medal Roll for the 3rd Battalion Royal West Surrey Regiment (findable on Ancestry) has his initial as “W” and indicates his QSA ribbon should have borne only a Cape Colony clasp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds