Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 12 years 11 months ago #554

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4560
Rox,

I have the same book on the REs that Mike must have. I also checked the medal rolls and he is not there but then he didn't arrive in SA until the after the war had ended.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 12 years 11 months ago #573

• Rox
  • Rox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Even after 1902, the Corps of the Royal Engineers would have been enlisted into Units or Regiments, wouldn't they ? Perhaps I have missed something in Percy's Short Service Attestion ?
My thanks to Mike and David
From Rox in WA :)

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 12 years 11 months ago #575

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4560
Rox,

You're right that he would have been assigned to a part of the REs when he joined. As he did not serve during the Boer War, its just more difficult to find this out. The Boer War records are sorted by RE unit so it would have been very easy to have found him.

Looking at FindMyPast, there is on Percy Dalton. Is this your man? The geography seems to fit.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 12 years 11 months ago #584

• Rox
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi there David
Yes this is "my man", but I can't seem to find reference to his unit on these records :)

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 12 years 11 months ago #595

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Rox,

Have you had any joy with contacting the Cape Town Archives Respository?

If not please let me know.

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Cape Colony: British Army Ordinace: Corps of Royal Engineers query please 12 years 11 months ago #598

• Rox
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi there Adrian

Yes, I have had some wonderful assistance via SA Archives Cape Town, some great success with the records previously listed here.
It always amazes me how generous and helpful everyone is regarding family and historical research.
I am becoming more familiar with South Africa research now and not as daunting as I originally thought.
Thank you for checking back :)

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds