TOPIC:

Hello - Help needed please 12 years 10 months ago #509

• Rose
  • Rose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All

I am new to this board and would greatly appreciate any help or pointers to finding info on my GG Grandad who served in the Boer War.

His name was James Rose, born 1876 Crewkerne, Somerset. He served with the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards from 1897. I have some papers for him (think they are kind of discharge papers - not sure) which show he received the Queens Medal and clasp for Wittebergen, Cape Colony and Kings Medal and clasp for Transvaal.

Can anyone tell me if I can obtain his records from anywhere?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Julie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hello - Help needed please 12 years 10 months ago #561

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Julie,

It looks as though his service papers are available either online at FindMyPast or at the National Archives:

Are your copied documents 4 pages in length with basic details and signatures on page 1 and a list of where he served at the top of page 4?

Also, the King's Medal usually has the clasps South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. Can I ask what clasps do you have on yours?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: Hello - Help needed please 12 years 9 months ago #747

• Rose
  • Rose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello David

Sorry about the delay in replying.
I have now subscribed to Find My past and have got his service papers.

The original papers I have for him are on parchment ( says Army Form D426 - if that helps) and on second page under Medals it says Queens S. Africa Medal and clasps for Wittebergen, Cape Colony and Transvaal. Kings S Africa Medal and clasps 1901-02.

Do you know if there would be any further records for him, or have I prob got all that I can.

Thanks for replying

Julie

Hello - Help needed please 5 years 3 months ago #61876

• Peter53
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I realize your post was over 7 years ago but I have only just come across this as I decided to investigate my Granddads history. It is just possible I may be a relative of yours, can I ask if you have your GG granddads medals? I have medals exactly as described and my granddad was born in Crewkerne, as was my father ( born 1909) although shortly after then family moved to London.
Hope to hear from you Peter

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds