TOPIC:

James Jones South Wales Borderers - Boer War? 12 years 10 months ago #527

• Maccaroo
  • Maccaroo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

This is my first post, I live in Australia and have been researching family history for about 5 years now, I was born in the UK and my hubby and daughters moved here 14 years ago.

My great grandfather James Jones born in Rhymney Wales in 1871, he was a soldier in the South Wales Borders, have no idea when he joined up, I have him in the census of 1871 and 1881, I am missing the 1891 and 1901 census,well I can't find him anyway in the 1911 census he was a retired army pensioner. In Feb 1907 he married my great grandma and on the Wedding Cert he was a soldier in the SWB and was based at the Brecon Barracks, in Aug of the same year my nan was born and he was still in SWB, but no regiment number on the birth certificate :( Someone suggested he may have been in the Boer War which is why I can't find him in the census, I have just heard back from the SWB museum with a few James Jones who were in the Boer war, none were mine, I need his regiment number to go any further, does anyone have any other suggestions please :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: James Jones South Wales Borderers - Boer War? 12 years 10 months ago #528

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Maccaroo,

I had a look at the index for FindMyPast (soldier's papers) and found, as you might expect quite a few people with the name J Jones.

It is possible to search the index by name, year of birth and country of birth. This is the result of that search.

I will go and have a quick look at the medal roll for the SWB.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: James Jones South Wales Borderers - Boer War? 12 years 10 months ago #529

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Expanding the year of birth by one year includes these names:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: James Jones South Wales Borderers - Boer War? 12 years 10 months ago #530

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Searching the Ancestry index for J Jones in the SWB shows over 50 matches (some of which will be duplicates for the QSA, Supplementary and KSA rolls).

Here is an extract from a page of the roll itself:

As it is not so easy for you to pop into the National Archives in London to look through the medal rolls and service papers, perhaps the next step is to use a professional researcher to do the work for you?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.587 seconds