Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 6 months ago #8588

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1909
Good Day Everyone.....

After reading all the posts I went through my collection to find if I had any that might fit into the category.....

Other than British Units I found the following colonials....

69 Private G. Stephenson, New England Mounted Rifles - Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal and Laings Nek

also

Bearer J. B. Phillips, Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps - Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal and Laings Nek

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 6 months ago #8589

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 956
Hello Mike,
You have a six clasp QSA to the New England Mounted Rifles? :ohmy: are the clasps all verified? I would have thought this would have actually been issued as a medal only, in keeping with most members of this small corps.
Regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Day Everyone.....

After reading all the posts I went through my collection to find if I had any that might fit into the category.....

Other than British Units I found the following colonials....

69 Private G. Stephenson, New England Mounted Rifles - Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal and Laings Nek

also

Bearer J. B. Phillips, Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps - Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal and Laings Nek

Mike

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 6 months ago #8590

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 742
Mike and Frank

I suspect that Pte Stephenson was one of those Colonials who served in at least two regiments, one of which was engaged in the Natal campaign. The New England Mounted Rifles may have come later when he was tired of being used for target practise by the Boers, or have I misjudged the active service of the NEMR?

Regards
Brett

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 6 months ago #8591

• Frank Kelley
No Brett,
I do not feel you have misjudged the New England Mounted Rifles, from memory, they were raised in Barkley East and their medals are really quite scarce, they had a lovely silver slouch hat badge, the letters in a very attractive flowing script, similar to my avatar and made by the same silversmith in King Williams Town.
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Mike and Frank

I suspect that Pte Stephenson was one of those Colonials who served in at least two regiments, one of which was engaged in the Natal campaign. The New England Mounted Rifles may have come later when he was tired of being used for target practise by the Boers, or have I misjudged the active service of the NEMR?

Regards
Brett

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 6 months ago #8593

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 742
Frank

Your comments about Anderson and Mason knowing each other are very likely to be correct. The Border Mounted Rifles, Natal Mounted Rifles and Natal Carbineers had regional squadrons and troops but, unlike the Cape Colony, Natal was relatively small in both size and settler population. Regular camps and a variety of competitions would have brought the men together in peacetime and, of course, active service is probably the greatest bonding exercise ever invented. The 10 BMR men in the Composite Regiment must have been a close-knit group in order to maintain their regimental identity, a source of pride to all the volunteer soldiers of Natal - at least, I hope so.

Regards
Brett

The Relief of Ladysmith 11 years 6 months ago #8595

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
Well, it really must have been one hell of a ride on that day, for them all, I wonder how long they were actually in the saddle, before reaching the outskirts of Ladysmith, one also wonders if there was any whisky left in the town too?
Brett, a great set of posts, that recall, what was a momentous day in Natal and I have really enjoyed reading them, there should be more anniversary "on this day" posts on here.
Again kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank

Your comments about Anderson and Mason knowing each other are very likely to be correct. The Border Mounted Rifles, Natal Mounted Rifles and Natal Carbineers had regional squadrons and troops but, unlike the Cape Colony, Natal was relatively small in both size and settler population. Regular camps and a variety of competitions would have brought the men together in peacetime and, of course, active service is probably the greatest bonding exercise ever invented. The 10 BMR men in the Composite Regiment must have been a close-knit group in order to maintain their regimental identity, a source of pride to all the volunteer soldiers of Natal - at least, I hope so.

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds