• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Has anyone seen one of these before?

Obverse, engraved: SOUTH AFRICA

Reverse, engraved: PRESENTED BY THE TOWN OF HARROGATE TO PTE. L. PRIEST. P.W.L.H. FOR LOYAL SERVICE OCT. 1901

Weight: 7.5 grammes
Width: 27 mm
Height: 27 mm
Hallmark: (9.375) 9 carat gold
Assayed: (anchor) Birmingham
Date letter: (b) 1901)
Maker's mark: (J.M) Joseph Moore

The tribute medal is accompanied by a QSA (3) to POWLH.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Harrogate Tribute Medal 5 years 8 months ago #59876

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hi David...…

Now I know who out bid me..... LOL...…
In Hibbard's book (Item A14) there is one and he has it rated a Rarity R4 which is only one known to exist.....
The difference is though it has a crown top with suspension ring, it looks like the one that you have has had the crown broken off......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Harrogate Tribute Medal 5 years 8 months ago #59878

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Thank you, Mike.

My thanks must also go the kind person who shared these images with me and allowed them to be added to the site.
Dr David Biggins

Harrogate Tribute Medal 4 years 8 months ago #64938

• Grandrew2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi

I thought I would post a section from the Harrogate Herald dated 30th October 1901.The full article is on Page 4 here I have just picked out the section describing the medal and the names of those it was presented to. Priest is mentioned as is Helliwell of whom more later. It is under the heading "Welcome Home to Men from the Front Presentation of Medals"

….."The Mayor then presented each of the men with a solid gold medal. It is of choice design, surmounted by a crown. On one side is engraved the words "South Africa". The reverse side bears the words "Presented by the town of Harrogate to
for loyal service, Oct 1901". It is specially designed and executed by Mr E Anderson, gold and silversmith, The King's Arcade, James St, Harrogate. The following received the medals, each man being loudly cheered by the company present:-

Lieutenant Featherstone
Corporal Archer
Trooper Burkinshaw
Trooper Bartho
Trooper Benson
Trooper Blackman
Trooper Foster
Corporal Brittain
Private Brown
Trooper Burgess
Trooper Burrow
Trooper Charlesworth
Trooper Consindine
Trooper Dinsdale
Trooper Fall
Trooper Broden
Trooper Gill
Trooper HELLIWELL
Trooper H Hinchley
Trooper Hudson
Trooper Hammond
Trooper G Jackson
Trooper Jefferson
Trooper J Jackson
Trooper Kendall
Trooper C Mackay
Trooper Morton
Sergeant Norman
Trooper Norwood
Trooper C A Pickard
Trooper PRIEST
Trooper Pullan
Trooper F Pierson
Trooper Rawley
Trooper Russell
Trooper Sabine
Trooper W Shaw
Trooper Smith
Trooper J H Sharman
Sergeant R Shutt
Trooper G A Sharman
Sergeant J Scholes
Trooper Wood
Sergeant Webster
Trooper Ward
Trooper Whitlock
Drummer Wheater
Trooper Wright
Trooper Wilkinson
Trooper Waring

I have highlighted in Block capitals the two examples I know of. Priest mentioned earlier in this post and Helliwell. His Harrogate Tribute medal was sold as part of Lot 395 in Spinks Sale 9024 on 23 April 2009 as follows . Harrogate Town Medal for South Africa 1901, gold (Hallmarks for Birmingham 1901), the reverse engraved 'Presented by the Town of Harrogate to Pte. J. Helliwell Y&LR., for Loyal Service, Octr. 1901', good very fine

Dundee Volunteers Medal for South Africa 1901, silver (Hallmarks for Birmingham 1901), central medallion loose, good very fine

Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry Medal for South Africa 1901, bronze, unnamed as issued, suspension claw loose, nearly very fine (3)
Estimate £ 80-100

The estimate was £80-£100 and I left a "hopeful bid of £510." I was way of the mark as I think it the Lot went for about £1500.

I have Helliwells QSA. He was in fact 2908 Private John Allen Hellewell York & Lancaster Regiment. In his papers in the National Archives in the series PIN 71 his surname is spelt HELLEWELL as is the naming on his QSA

So whilst Mr Hibbard might be right with his assessment of their rarity there was a fair number awarded that day.

Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Harrogate Tribute Medal 3 years 2 months ago #74438

• dolores54
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi there,
I am responding to the initial top question of >>>Has anyone seen one of these before? Obverse, engraved: SOUTH AFRICA

Coincidently I was just handed one today from my neighbour who knows nothing about the medal.
It belonged to her late husband's family line and wants me to find out it's value.
I have not taken photos yet of the the medal with his name on it, which I might add also this one though identical to your photo also has a crown on the top from which it hangs on the end of his pocket watch chain.
Was the reason for your question to search for more information or to purchase other similar tribute medals?
I will send you photos when as soon as I am able
Perhaps I can help in some way as well.
Cheers
Doris
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Harrogate Tribute Medal 3 years 2 months ago #74450

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300

dolores54 wrote: Hi there,
I am responding to the initial top question of >>>Has anyone seen one of these before? Was the reason for your question to search for more information or to purchase other similar tribute medals?

He was just asking for more information.

If you know of another Harrogate medal, I'd be interested in it, having lived there in the past for 30-odd years.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.062 seconds