Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Doncaster Tribute Medal 1 year 3 months ago #88032

• Neville_C
  • Neville_C's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2001
For those interested, I have updated the Doncaster Tribute Medal page with additional photographs.

SEE: Doncaster Tribute Medal

Neville
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doncaster Tribute Medal 1 year 3 months ago #88034

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 772
Neville,
I had a good look at the tribute medal to Shillito on eBay. It looked to be in mint condition. Very well done whoever managed to pick it up!
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Doncaster Tribute Medal 1 year 3 months ago #88330

• ChrisE
  • Thank you received: 6
This is a (very) sore point for me.
I watched the auction for the Shillito medal and was in contact with the seller, offering him information on the man and his family which the
seller, a distant relative, was unaware of.
I had no realistic expectation of being able to buy the medal and was, as you might imagine, surprised when the seller offered it to me for
a buy it now of £800. I accepted and paid immediately. 3 hours later he contacted me asking me to cancel the sale as his Grandmother wished it
to be relisted.
I did attempt to comply with his request albeit reluctantly but for some technical reason, eBay wouldn't 'let' me so I had to decline that option.
Instead the seller cancelled it himself, gave the reason for that cancellation that I had requested it - which I had definitelyI had not.
Then he relisted it straightaway with a start price of £1500 which immediately attracted a bid. Quite why is a mystery as it had previously stood for 5 days at a
start price of £600 with no bids at all.
I asked the seller for an explanation - was one needed? I am not naive and could quite imagine the reasons for such a turnaround - but I never received
a response.
Being pragmatic about such things I have of course accepted it and the only issue which still sticks in my throat is that the seller tried to hold me
responsible for cancelling when that was not true.
I hope whoever was the ultimate buyer is happy with his/her purchase as it has cost a pretty penny.
A (nother?) cautionary eBay tale.
Chris

Doncaster Tribute Medal 1 year 3 months ago #88335

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 772
Chris,
I was one of those that saw the price upped considerably.
I think the renewed price was more realistic, but the QSA and tribute medal would probably have reached this even at the starter for £600.
I feel for you, having to cancel at the seller's request. And you have been treated unfairly in my humble opinion.
At least we know where we stand when we bid at Noonan's, Spink etc

Doncaster Tribute Medal 1 year 3 months ago #88345

• ChrisE
  • Thank you received: 6
Afternoon
Don't want to bang on about it as it just makes me seem a mardy so and so.
I too thought the price would rise to circa £1200 or so based on the most recent auction results. Having said that, about 4 years ago a friend of mine took a bath when
paying 4 figures for a Doncaster Tribute together with the man's QSA and his brother's 14/15 Star trio he then put it in a DNW auction only for it to hammer at £1000 meaning
with comission etc he lost about £300.
Even with a starting price of £600 I had no expectation of being lucky and, as research is the most important part of collecting for me, was more than happy to share what I
had found with the seller on the understanding he didn't add it to the listing and thinking I had no chance of winning anyway so had nothing to lose.
I know you can't tell simply from emails but he did seem a genuine lad, grateful for what I had told him.
So I was very surprised when he emailed saying that although he had 14 watching, he intended to delist the medal and relist it for £900 as a buy it now. Seeing as I had been
so generous with my information he was happy to let me have it for £800.
I'm pretty sure he was 'tapped up' by the eventual winner - but, having had the rug pulled from under my feet before (and just as likely again in the future) I took the view there was no point
digging my heels in - after all, he still had the medal AND my £800 and I was more concerned about securing the refund than trying to insist he stick to the sale - as by the way he is bound
under eBay rules.
Upwards (hopefully) and onwards (certainly)
After all there are always other medals around the corner - just not these desireable tribute medals.
Chris

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds