Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ABW Group Photograph 7 years 3 months ago #50331

• RoyS
  • RoyS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Chaps,

I wanted to share this nice Anglo Boer War photograph with forum members. Unfortunately there is no insignia that I can make out but a nice array of uniform and equipment I thought would be of interest to some members.

If you need a close-up of any gent just let me know.

No details (date etc) on any part of this.

Enjoy,

Roy

Collecting/wanted ABW insignia if anyone has some spares?

My website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ABW Group Photograph 7 years 3 months ago #50332

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Roy
Thanks for showing that pic; really full of atmosphere. I would date the pic as from,say mid 1900 onwards. IL would very much dislike the illustrated gents descending on his bivouac just before first light! I note that some of the bandoleers worn are of the cotton pattern initially intended to be disposable. Of course, the army kept them in service and the loops got loose and rounds spilled out - so an expedient was to fashion flaps to the bandoleers; secured by buttons. At least two of the illustrated gents appear to have that pattern of modified cotton bandoleer. The gent on the RHS of the pic appears to have a pouch (or possibly a revolver holster) on his LHS. If it is a revolver holster, that is just where IL would have it! An enlargement of that gent might show more.
As before, a great pic.
Regards
IL.

ABW Group Photograph 7 years 3 months ago #50333

• RoyS
  • RoyS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Linneyl,

Thank you for that, and you are most welcome.

I love images like this, it really gives us a the opportunity to glean some primary information and details. As a fan/collector of the Lee-Speed/Metford I also noticed the variety of bandolier (wish I had an example). Check out the closer image showing a better view the different varieties in use. The chap on the left seems to have some insignia (if my eyes aren't failing me) on his slouchy, just wish it was clearer.

Cheerio,

Roy

Collecting/wanted ABW insignia if anyone has some spares?

My website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com
Attachments:

ABW Group Photograph 7 years 3 months ago #50334

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Roy
Yes, something there - but very unclear. Leather Mounted Infantry bandoleers in .303" of the type illustrated are hardly two-a-penny here; however the "disposable" type (or even the modified version of same) are virtually never seen here in complete form. I have seen sections of them with leather flaps; however the examples were extremely well-worn and tatty. Nevertheless, I suppose someone on this forum might just have one!
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds