Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878–1913) Rank and Unit Insignia 4 years 2 months ago #67781

• johncarnell
  • johncarnell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I am looking to buy the Unit insignia and a Captain's Rank Insignia from the South African Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878–1913). If any one knows where I could source these it would be appreciated.

I have also tried to find what a Captains Rank from the Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878–1913) would actually look like without any luck. I have attached what I believe is the Unit insignia / patch.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878–1913) Rank and Unit Insignia 4 years 2 months ago #67786

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108

johncarnell wrote: I have also tried to find what a Captains Rank from the Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878–1913) would actually look like without any luck. I have attached what I believe is the Unit insignia / patch.

The CMR wore British Army rank insignia, which changed a couple of times between 1878 and 1913. In 1878, a captain wore a crown and a 'pip' on each side of his upright collar (crown nearest the front). From 1881, he wore two pips on each shoulder. From 1902, he wore three pips on each shoulder.

The shield-shaped patch showing the beetle inside the letter D has come into circulation on the internet in the past few years, but I don't know if it was actually worn by the regiment. It may have been a blazer badge, or an informal device (possibly used by 'D' Squadron?), but IMHO it's very unlikely that it would have been approved for wearing on uniform. I am, of course, willing to be corrected.
Regards
Arthur

Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878–1913) Rank and Unit Insignia 4 years 2 months ago #67787

• johncarnell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thankyou Arthur. So I would be looking for the 2x Pip ensignia. You wouldn't have a photo of what I'd be looking to buy would you Arthur?

Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878–1913) Rank and Unit Insignia 4 years 2 months ago #67788

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello John

This is insignia up to 1870 .

Regards
Attachments:

Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878–1913) Rank and Unit Insignia 4 years 2 months ago #67789

• johncarnell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for that Arthur, but my Great Grandfather was a Captain post 1881 and pre 1902 so on your advice I guess he would have had 2 pips on his shoulders.

Cape Mounted Riflemen (1878–1913) Rank and Unit Insignia 4 years 2 months ago #67790

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108

johncarnell wrote: Thanks for that Arthur, but my Great Grandfather was a Captain post 1881 and pre 1902 so on your advice I guess he would have had 2 pips on his shoulders.

That's correct, John.
Regards
Arthur

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.180 seconds