• Page:

TOPIC:

Bayonet 3 years 10 months ago #70071

• SoNoLoPo8
  • SoNoLoPo8's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for allowing me to join your group. I truly appreciate it and I'm interested in learning about the Boer War time period. I'm hoping someone in this forum can help me out with something or at least point me in the right direction. I recently came into possession of what I suspect may be a bayonet from the Boer War. Not sure to say the least. The person who turned it over to me was given it approx 60yrs ago. No other info was provided to him. I took some pics of what I have along with some numbers. I attached the photos for reference. I looked at the blade itself and did not see any inscriptions or writing. I was hoping to figure out what it is and possibly do some tracing based on the numbers. I have no idea if this is even possible. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration. Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bayonet 3 years 10 months ago #70082

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
SoNoLoPo8
Welcome to the Forum. The item you have shown is a bayonet for the French Mle 1866 Chassepot rifle. That rifle was in calibre 11mm, featured an early bolt action and fired a self-consuming cartridge. I very much doubt that such an item would have been carried/used during the Boer War. Large numbers of Chassepot rifles were captured in the course of the 1870 Franco-Prussian war and bayonets to suit them were sold as curios for many years.
The numbering shown on cross piece and scabbard most probably relate to the numbering of the rifle with which it was originally issued.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Bayonet 3 years 10 months ago #70083

• SoNoLoPo8
  • SoNoLoPo8's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for all that info and history. That is absolutely amazing. I had no idea.
Cheers

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.734 seconds