Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lord Strathcona's Corps / Horse 10 months 1 week ago #90242

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Evening Everyone......

I am glad that we have a great group of fellow collectors on this forum and I wish to say thanks to RCT who put me on to this badge...... It was found on an online auction in S.A. and I was happy or should I say ecstatic that I was able to bid on this very rare badge and eventually win it.....

I took it with me to the Lord Strathcona's Regimental Museum and I will not say who but was told that I would be lucky if I would be able to leave the building alive, with a great big smile on their face......

A little history first......

When founded by Lord Strathcona the regiment was to be made up of Western Canadian Rough Riders, N.W.M.P. and other Volunteers and everybody started to call them Strathcona's Horse..... On arrival in South Africa they were designated by the British staff as a Corps and they were going to have their horses taken away and given to British units as remounts ...... Even thought they had already had the badges "S.H." made on the ship they had to have remade their shoulder titles as Lord Strathcona's Corps there were very very few of these badges ever issued as after their commanding officer Col. Sam Steele kicked up a stink along with Lord Strathcona they were allowed to return to the name Strathcona's Horse, the Corps badges were ordered destroyed......

The museum knows about the badges has a photo of one person wearing one but do not have one in their collection and all their references just show drawings..... That is why I had to sneak out the back door (Just Kidding).......

Now for a couple of Pictures.......

Mike
P.S. I should also say that I have heard about this badge but had never seen one.....

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Neville_C, azyeoman, Moranthorse1, Sturgy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lord Strathcona's Corps / Horse 10 months 1 week ago #90243

• azyeoman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 302
Congratulations Mike! Thanks for sharing the photos of this rare badge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Lord Strathcona's Corps / Horse 10 months 1 week ago #90247

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 763
Thanks for sharing the story of your good luck Mike. A moment collectors dream of!
Cheers Steve

Lord Strathcona's Corps / Horse 10 months 1 week ago #90259

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
A great find and great teamwork!
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds