Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Insignia/Emblem Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force (British Forces) 5 days 20 hours ago #96991

• Cate Walker
  • Cate Walker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

Can anyone advise if the Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force (British Forces, Defence of Mafeking) had an insignia/emblem? I am helping a family organise a military plaque for the grave of Rupert Vivian Hosking 183 in the Cook Islands.

Would anyone have an example of a plaque layout to share?

Thank you in advance.

Cate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Insignia/Emblem Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force (British Forces) 3 days 19 hours ago #96998

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1585
Cate
Well, I have searched various sources - not only this site - in search of a hat badge for the Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force and have not come up with any takers. Hopefully, others have had more success.
I imagine the PRFF would have had some form of distinctive emblem - many of the colonial regiments raised around that time did so - and some were unofficial. The only thing I came up with was a shoulder title (or perhaps a hat badge) with the letters "PR" - which was suggested as being associated with the Protectorate Regiment.
Regarding "183 Sgt. Rupert Vivian Hosking of D Sqn., PRFF", the Walker Mafeking Siege Register has an entry for him.
Nice touch about the family organising a grave plaque for Sgt. Hosking. Unless a pic of the PRFF' s badge can be located, perhaps the thing to do would be to show him as a member of that regiment at Mafeking and leave it at that.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cate Walker

Insignia/Emblem Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force (British Forces) 3 days 19 hours ago #97000

• Cate Walker
  • Away
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you so much for your reply, I have also searched high and low with no luck, and your advice regarding his plaque showing him as a member of that regiment at Mafeking is exactly what the draft plaque currently says. When the plaque is manufactured and installed on the grave I will come back and post an image.

Thank you again,
Cate

Insignia/Emblem Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force (British Forces) 3 days 31 minutes ago #97017

• Cate Walker
  • Away
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I am wondering if you can point me in the direction for information about the following man who I believe may be in an unmarked grave in the grounds of the Avarua Cook Islands Christian Church in Rarotonga, Cook Islands:

Sydney HOPKINS (aka Sidney Hopkins)
South African War, 1899-1902
Born 21/07/1881 Reading, Bershire, England, United Kingdom
Died 2/2/1948 Rarotonga, Cook Islands

Death reg number: RARO19480020

"Hopkins, Sydney, 1881-1948
Photographer, Avarua, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Born in England. Ran away from home at age 16, joined the navy and went to sea. In about 1900 he left ship in South Africa and became a Bombadier fighting for the British in the South African (Boer) War. He later joined the constabulary in South Africa, then in 1909 returned to England for a short time. He then went to new York and spent time travelling in the United States. Subsequently he travelled the Pacific and spent time in Australia, Hawaii, and the Society Islands. In 1914 he decided to settle in Rarotonga where he set up as a professional photographer. His studio was located in Avarua town centre on the site of the present treasury office. He continued to practise as a photographer until his death in 1948. (Source: Cook Island News, 15 October, 1988, p 4)."

Insignia/Emblem Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force (British Forces) 2 days 15 hours ago #97020

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1585
Cate
This Forum frequently has queries such as yours concerning Sydney/Sidney HOPKINS. Sometimes we can help and often there is insufficient information to say very much. In the case of HOPKINS, I did run that surname and initials (with basic variations) through this site's Search portal - and to no avail. That does not mean that the chap did not serve; not all the medal rolls have been put here. So more data is needed.
Perhaps you might arrange a search for your chap on one of the commercial sites?
Regards
IL.

Insignia/Emblem Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force (British Forces) 2 days 15 hours ago #97021

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2448
I believe the person you are looking for is:

8521 Gunner Sydney Hopkins, Royal Horse Artillery.

Born 1881, Reading, Berkshire.

Attested, London, 28 Apr 1900 (implying that he didn't join in South Africa).

Served in South Africa, 19/01/1901 to 27/01/1904 (Pom Pom Depôt during the war; "T" & "S" Batteries after the war).

QSA with clasps for Transvaal, Orange Free State & Cape Colony.
KSA with clasps for South Africa 1901 & 1902.

Discharged in South Africa (on payment of £18), 27/01/1904.

He had previous service with the Royal Navy and 1st Life Guards (discharged from latter as "unfitted for the duties of the corps").

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cate Walker

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds