Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DCM to 1261 Q.M. Sergeant Thomas E Hogan, 9th Battalion, KRRC 12 years 2 months ago #2044

• petehoganirl
  • petehoganirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
My great-grandfather was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, noted in The London Gazette, September 27, 1901. Page: 6327 and also at this link: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mturner/cork/nth_cork.htm . He was a volunteer with the 9th Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps (The North Cork Militia).

As a family we have been trying to ascertain what action he might have taken part in to be awarded this medal, but have not been able to find any information to date. That being said, I have only recently taken up the search. Having moved to New Zealand, and with the birth of my first son, my interest in our family history has been elevated to a new level.

My aunt in Dublin is currently in possession of the medal and Thomas's QSA medal is long lost.

Amazingly, I do have another great-grandfather's QSA [Cape Colony; Orange Free State; Johannesburg; Diamond Hill] (524 Pte H.E. Bearman C.I.V.).

If anyone can assist in my search, or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: DCM to 1261 Q.M. Sergeant Thomas E Hogan, 9th Battalion, KRRC 12 years 2 months ago #2055

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
petehoganirl,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum.

I have had a look at a few source of information and, other than confirm his MID and DCM, I have been unable to find any mention of the reason for the award. It may be that his award was for continued good service as a senior NCO in the KRRC. There are many such awards.

The medal rolls merely confirm his clasps as CC, OFS, Tr and SA01 which doesn't really help.

Have you tried the Regimental Museum in Winchester?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: petehoganirl

Re: DCM to 1261 Q.M. Sergeant Thomas E Hogan, 9th Battalion, KRRC 12 years 2 months ago #2057

• petehoganirl
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for the warm welcome and reply David.

I contacted the KRRC Association by email prior to Christmas but have yet to get a reply. I'll send an email to the curator and see if they can get me some more information.

I was unaware that the DCM was awarded could be awarded to a senior NCO for continued good service, as most of what I had read seemed to infer that it was an award for gallantry. It goes to show that you should never believe all that you read :)

If I happen upon any more info I'll be sure to post it up, together with some info about my other great-grandfather that also served.

Re: DCM to 1261 Q.M. Sergeant Thomas E Hogan, 9th Battalion, KRRC 12 years 2 months ago #2101

• petehoganirl
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Well, I've had en email back from the curator at the Rifles museum in Winchester. She is checking through their records and will hopefully be able to give me a bit more info about Thomas and his exploits.

Will post here if/when I get something.

Re: DCM to 1261 Q.M. Sergeant Thomas E Hogan, 9th Battalion, KRRC 11 years 11 months ago #2901

• petehoganirl
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
So, the hunt continues...

I have uncovered the DCM was cited for Thomas in Lord Robert's despatch of 4 September 1901, although I have yet to uncover a copy of this...

Anyone got any ideas?

I've also discovered that Thomas' QSA was sold at auction in March 2008 in London (via Dix Noonan & Webb) and am endeavouring to see their assistance in getting my details to the purchaser so I can possibly buy the medal from them. Does anyone know if this is a likely scenario/situation? I have my doubts as to whether I'll ever be lucky enough to get it, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

DCM to 1261 Q.M. Sergeant Thomas E Hogan, 9th Battalion, KRRC 11 years 1 week ago #8958

• petehoganirl
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Well, after some further months of research and getting in contact with a cousin through my father (his 1st cousin) I managed to meet up with him last night (on a flying visit to the Northern hemisphere).

You wouldn't believe it, but he had Thomas' Militia LS&GC. Photos below of the medal with a rather old photo of the man himself:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.877 seconds