Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

4778 Pte Christopher Ralph Maddison. "H" Coy, 1st Battalion Derbyshire Regt 8 years 11 months ago #41080

• OLD STUBBORN
  • OLD STUBBORN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Pte C.R. Maddison served with 2nd Battalion during the Tirah Campaign of 1897-98, where he gained the medal and two clasps Tirah 1897-98 and Punjab Frontier 1897-98, during the Boer War he served with "H" Company which took many casualties at Vlakfontein on the 29th May 1901. It was here where Pte Maddison was killed when 1500 Boers attacked the British Column of 400, the attack was so swift it caught the British unaware. The Regimental History states that "H" Company were outnumbered by five or six to one and out of 100 men of "H" Company only 28 came out of the action at the close of the fight. The 28th Battery Royal Artillery were overun and the guns were taken over by the Boers who tried to turn them on the approaching Derbyshire's they were given the order to charge and re-take the guns by the point of the bayonet, which was duly carried out. The casualties of the Royal Artillery were 7 killed and 12 wounded whilst the 7th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry had 5 men killed and 26 wounded. The 1st Derbyshire's had 18 men K.I.A. with 58 wounded and 5 missing.
Pte Maddison was Killed in Action on the 29th May 1901 after displaying such bravery as to be mentioned in Lord Kitchener's Despatch "For Great Gallantry and Good Example at Vlakfontein".
The Battalion Orders dated the 27th August 1901 shows his name was forwarded on recommendation of his company officer to the attention of the GOC in accordance with para 5 Battalion Orders (M.I.D.) dated 1st June 1901, M.I.D. Posthumous Award.
The Boer War Medal Roll shows he was awarded the QSA with clasps, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Cape Colony and Orange Free State, Christopher Ralph Maddison was the 2nd son of Henry and Clara Maddison of Partney Hall in Lincolnshire, he was born on the 10th September 1872. He is buried Vlakfontein (584) Cemetery, Transvaal, South Africa, in 1966 the body was exhumed and remains re-buried in Old Krugersdorp Cemetery by S/A War Grave Board.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4778 Pte Christopher Ralf Maddison. "H" Coy, 1st Battalion Derbyshire Regt 8 years 11 months ago #41082

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Old Stubborn
Thanks for showing that impressive pair of medals. Many years ago I chanced upon a QSA to IY; the recipient killed in action on 29May 1901 at Vlakfontein. Research showed how well the Derby's KOSB and RA performed when outnumbered so heavily - as usual, many accounts stress only the breaking of the Imperial Yeomanry screen and not the disciplined bravery of the Infantry and RA. The journalist, Edgar Wallace, publicised the shooting of British wounded at one point by the Boers. Stirling (Our Regiments) considers the Derbys as performing "perhaps the finest bayonet charge in the war" during the Vlakfontein battle. Incidentally, the SAFF Casualty Roll shows 21 KiA/DoW for 7th Bn., I.Y.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OLD STUBBORN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds