Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Action at Bank Bridge 1st Battalion Derbyshire Regiment 8 years 10 months ago #41415

• OLD STUBBORN
  • OLD STUBBORN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
ACTION AT "BANK" AND "BANK BRIDGE" 1st BATTALION THE DERBYSHIRE REGIMENT

5210 Sergeant H Tyers 1st Battalion The Derbyshire Regiment was mortally wounded on the 13th February 1901 at Bank Bridge.

3560 Pte R Handley slightly wounded 13th February at Bank Bridge.

5432 Pte J Westwood died of wounds 13th February at Bank Bridge.

At 1.30am on the morning of 13th shots were fired into Bank under the command of Captain Phelps to engage the attention of the garrison while a determined attack was made upon the bridge by a hundred Boers. There was a double sentry posted close at hand but one of the sentries (5417 Pte G White) saw a figure approaching but hesitated to fire, thinking it might be one of the native scouts. As he half rose up to fire he was himself shot through the head, while 5210 Sgt Tyers who was just about to relieve the sentries was mortally wounded through the stomach, he had been previously wounded at Wonderheufel. The Boers came boldly on meaning to destroy the pumping station and mine the bridge.
The Boers were met by our piquet where they at once became engaged at the closest of quarters by L/Sgt Young, he carried Sgt Tyers to safety was awarded M.I.D.
5432 Pte Westwood Died of Wounds, (Gunshot received at Bank) at Krugersdorp, South Africa.
3560 Pte Handley was slightly wounded (he was also Wounded at Wildfontein 17.7.1901). was recommended by the CO for repeatedly volunteering for special and dangerous service but were driven back by superior numbers. The Boers then wrecked the bridge and retired.
The Officer commanding Krugersdorp district wrote; I consider the piquet behaved most gallantly and shall be glad for my appreciation of their conduct be recorded. Captain Phelps recommended L/Sgt Young for the VC.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds