Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 4 months ago #50353

• ianbrentnall
  • Thank you received: 13
Combination of DCM and a Rhodesia clasp on the QSA?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 4 months ago #50355

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Ian,

It could be. I was comparing it to the previous DCM to Pte Banks who was KIA. The estimate for Banks's group is £2.4-£2.8.
Dr David Biggins

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 4 months ago #50356

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW.

DCM Ed VII (2980 Pte. Mc.Kinnon. 6th. Dragoons.)
QSA (5) CC OFS Joh DH Belf (2980. Pte. D. McKinnon. 6/Drgns.)

Provenance: J. B. Hayward, May 1979.

DCM LG 27 September 1901. The recommendation, extracted from ‘With the Inniskilling Dragoons’, states:

‘Late in the afternoon on the 16 December 1899 a patrol, under Captain Jackson, 7th Dragoon Guards, attached to the Inniskillings, reconnoitred towards Rensburg; they came under a heavy fire, and Captain Jackson was mortally wounded. Sergeant Broadwood and Private McKinnon gallantly stuck to him, amidst a hail of bullets, and successfully carried him in.’

David McKinnon was born in Dungannon, Co. Tyrone, Ireland, in 1870, and attested for the 6th Dragoons at Belfast on 1 April 1889. Transferring to the Reserve on 1 April 1896, he was recalled to the Colours on 9 October 1899, and served with the Regiment in South Africa from 23 October 1899 until 12 March 1902. Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for gallantry at Rensburg on 16 December 1899, at the height of ‘Black Week’, he was finally discharged on 4 April 1902, after 13 years and 4 days’ service.

The estimate is £1.4k-£1.8k
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 4 months ago #50368

• ianbrentnall
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi David, if I were going for one of these I have to say the Rhodesia clasp would do it for me!

Good luck!

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 3 months ago #51079

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
About 30 years ago I was fortunate enough to view a rather nice South Australian Boer War /WW1 DCM group named to Frederick Otto Thorn who had served with the 4th South Australian Bushmen in South Africa. His QSA was named to him as a Lieutenant as he had been commissioned soon after being awarded the DCM. He also had a 14/15 Trio as an officer in the Light Horse. The family story went that he rode a bicycle from Mildura to Adelaide to enlist when the war broke out a mere 250 miles. In the 1930's he was killed by a tram in Geelong Victoria.

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 3 months ago #51494

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
DCM trio to J H Newton, Damant's Horse

Picture courtesy of DNW

DCM VR (Tpr: J. H. Newton. Corps of Guides);
QSA (8 clasps) Belm, MR, RoK, Paard, Drie, Joh, DH, Witt (Serjt: J. H. Newton. Damant’s Horse.);
Nat 1906, (1) 1906 (M. J. H. Newton, Royston’s Horse.) edge bruising, heavy contact marks, therefore good fine

DCM LG 27 September 1901.

John Henry Newton enrolled into Rimington’s Corps of Guides on 13 October 1899 and was promoted Sergeant on 18 October 1899. Raised at the outbreak of the war by Major M. F. Rimington, 6th Inniskilling Dragoons, it was not a large unit, numbering about 150 at the outset. The Guides were distinguished in many of the early actions of the war. Sir Archibald Hunter said of them, ‘Major Rimington has gathered a body of men whose virtues are like his own. They can ride, see, fight, and shoot straight. They are in the forefront where there is danger. They have never disappointed me, let alone failed me.’ When Rimington left the Guides to take another command, the unit was resuscitated under another of their leaders, Major Damant. Although the corps was still called officially Rimington’s Guides, it eventually became Damant’s Horse.

For his services during the Boer War Newton was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, the recommendation stating: ‘On 20 May 1900, Trooper Newton rendered good service in collecting information and guiding a patrol along the Valsch River. On 22 May 1900, he took part in a reconnaissance to Rhenoster River Bridge and brought back a report’, and was also Mentioned in Despatches for ‘gallant conduct and valuable scouting.’ (London Gazette 27 September 1901). He left the Guides on 17 August 1900 and transferred to the Intelligence Department.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.787 seconds