Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Interesting Naming - Late Issue...... 7 years 11 months ago #46743

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Evening Everyone.....

Just picked up a QSA to 75599 Gunner A. Ransome "M" Battery Royal Horse Artillery...... Cape Colony / Orange Free State / Transvaal

The interesting thing is it looks like a replacement issue with World War One small letter naming...... The medal was previously named and has been neatly removed......

Your Opinions......

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Interesting Naming - Late Issue...... 7 years 11 months ago #46744

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Mike
I had a quick look for your man on WO 100/139 page 76 and those clasps (plus "SA1901") are his entitlement. I have never run across a QSA renamed in the later WW1 fashion. The only replacement QSA I have ever owned was many years ago and quite clearly marked "replacement". My opinion for what it is worth is that if the naming closely corresponds with WW1 naming, then that medal is worth having if the asking was right (and I don't like saying that about any medal earned the hard way).
MBty, RHA did some hard work in 1900-1901. His papers might tell you more of interest.
In short, if I needed an M Bty, RHA QSA, I would be happy with it.
Regards
IL.

Interesting Naming - Late Issue...... 7 years 11 months ago #46745

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Mike
I have a late issue QSA. It has a (slightly wobbly) fixed WWI suspender and naming similar to your medal. The disc is pristine and seems not to be a renamed example. I also have a late issue KSA. Both these medals were issued to men who had served in the Natal Police.
Regards
Brett

Interesting Naming - Late Issue...... 7 years 11 months ago #46747

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Albert Ransome had very considerable service before the Anglo Boer War, he served in South Africa from the 17th of February 1900 until the 28th of October 1901, interestingly, WO97 records that he was kicked by a horse on the 1st of May 1891 during a period of Home Service.

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Evening Everyone.....

Just picked up a QSA to 75599 Gunner A. Ransome "M" Battery Royal Horse Artillery...... Cape Colony / Orange Free State / Transvaal

The interesting thing is it looks like a replacement issue with World War One small letter naming...... The medal was previously named and has been neatly removed......

Your Opinions......

Mike

Interesting Naming - Late Issue...... 7 years 11 months ago #46749

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Everyone.....

I also have another medal with a fixed suspender that is named in the WW1 style.....

It makes me wonder how many are out there especially naval ones that were replacements when their "King's Temporary Issue" was lost when their ship sank..... Also when Kit was lost on the retreat from Mons.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.692 seconds