• Page:

TOPIC:

State clasps 7 years 10 months ago #46974

• Fae_austin
  • Fae_austin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am helping my Grandma to research her father's role in the Boer War. He was in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and has both the Queen's South Africa and King's South Adrica medals, with the Cape Colony, Transvaal and Wittebergen clasps.

I understand that state clasps were issued when no battle clasp had been awarded. Our query is whether this suggests that a soldier had not been a part of the battles in that state. For example, if my Great Grandfather has the Cape Colony clasp was he not involved in the Defense or relief of Mafeking. If so, would he not have been issued the Mafeking battle clasps?

Any help with this query is welcomed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

State clasps 7 years 10 months ago #46975

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881

Fae_austin wrote: I am helping my Grandma to research her father's role in the Boer War. He was in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and has both the Queen's South Africa and King's South Adrica medals, with the Cape Colony, Transvaal and Wittebergen clasps.

I understand that state clasps were issued when no battle clasp had been awarded. Our query is whether this suggests that a soldier had not been a part of the battles in that state. For example, if my Great Grandfather has the Cape Colony clasp was he not involved in the Defense or relief of Mafeking. If so, would he not have been issued the Mafeking battle clasps?

Any help with this query is welcomed.

Good Morning......

Suggest you read this area......

www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/b...s-south-africa-medal

Especially the area with regards to bars.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

State clasps 7 years 10 months ago #46977

• Fae_austin
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for responding so quickly. I had read that page and came across the section copied below-
A clasp inscribed "Cape Colony" will be granted to all troops in Cape Colony at any time between October 11th, 1899, and a date to be hereafter fixed, who received no clasp for an action already specified in the Cape Colony nor Natal clasps.

But when it's says 'granted to all troops in Cape Colony at any time between...' it doesn't make it clear what their involvement was in that area. If they 'received no clasp for an action' does that mean they were not involved? If they were in the area why would they not be involved in a major operation.

State clasps 7 years 10 months ago #46978

• QSAMIKE

Fae_austin wrote: Thank you for responding so quickly. I had read that page and came across the section copied below-
A clasp inscribed "Cape Colony" will be granted to all troops in Cape Colony at any time between October 11th, 1899, and a date to be hereafter fixed, who received no clasp for an action already specified in the Cape Colony nor Natal clasps.

But when it's says 'granted to all troops in Cape Colony at any time between...' it doesn't make it clear what their involvement was in that area. If they 'received no clasp for an action' does that mean they were not involved? If they were in the area why would they not be involved in a major operation.

Did you also read......

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...shire-light-infantry

It depends also when your GG-GF arrived in South Africa......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

State clasps 7 years 10 months ago #46982

• Fae_austin
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you! I hadn't found that part and it is really interesting. My Great Grandfather was there for the entirety.

I very much appreciate your responses. Thank you.

State clasps 7 years 10 months ago #46983

• QSAMIKE

Fae_austin wrote: Thank you! I hadn't found that part and it is really interesting. My Great Grandfather was there for the entirety.

I very much appreciate your responses. Thank you.

As I was just reminded on another forum....... (I should have known better)

It would be easier to search if we had your GG-GF's name and number since you have the medals......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds