Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Ribbons but no medals! 7 years 8 months ago #47980

• JenniG
  • JenniG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi - my mother left to me my father's WW2 service medals and my grandfather's WW1 service medals. I have decided to mount them and for the first time have actually looked in the elderly, non-descript black box that my grandfather's medals were stored in.

I have the traditional Pip Squeak & Wilfred, but along with those medals are two ribbons that I've learned from here are the QSA and KSA medal ribbons - I have two separate ribbons and one conjoined ribbon. I have no idea who they belonged to. I've searched the site on my mother's maiden name - Inge - and found one hit. However, J W Inge seems to appear only in a publication called In Memoriam by S Watt, of which it seems there's only 2 copies to be had in public libraries! He doesn't appear on Ancestry or Find my Past military records. I don't know whether anybody has access to this tome and if there is any other information about this person so I can do some more research? If not, I may need to go down my grandmother's family route (Rankin) but there's several hits on the site.

My main question for asking on this forum is that there is another ribbon in the box. It has 3 stripes - maroon/crimson on either side of a navy stripe, all approximatey 1cm in width. I have tried searching the internet but can't find a medal ribbon that matches this description. It may be a total red herring, but does it ring any bells with anybody here? I'm trying a Boer site because of the other ribbons, but there's no certainty it relates to this war.

If there were medals associated with these ribbons, they may have been sold in the past.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ribbons but no medals! 7 years 8 months ago #47981

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It does sound like the additional ribbons are likely to have belonged to your grandfather, given where you found them, do you know your grandfather's full name?

JenniG wrote: Hi - my mother left to me my father's WW2 service medals and my grandfather's WW1 service medals. I have decided to mount them and for the first time have actually looked in the elderly, non-descript black box that my grandfather's medals were stored in.

I have the traditional Pip Squeak & Wilfred, but along with those medals are two ribbons that I've learned from here are the QSA and KSA medal ribbons - I have two separate ribbons and one conjoined ribbon. I have no idea who they belonged to. I've searched the site on my mother's maiden name - Inge - and found one hit. However, J W Inge seems to appear only in a publication called In Memoriam by S Watt, of which it seems there's only 2 copies to be had in public libraries! He doesn't appear on Ancestry or Find my Past military records. I don't know whether anybody has access to this tome and if there is any other information about this person so I can do some more research? If not, I may need to go down my grandmother's family route (Rankin) but there's several hits on the site.

My main question for asking on this forum is that there is another ribbon in the box. It has 3 stripes - maroon/crimson on either side of a navy stripe, all approximatey 1cm in width. I have tried searching the internet but can't find a medal ribbon that matches this description. It may be a total red herring, but does it ring any bells with anybody here? I'm trying a Boer site because of the other ribbons, but there's no certainty it relates to this war.

If there were medals associated with these ribbons, they may have been sold in the past.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Ribbons but no medals! 7 years 8 months ago #47982

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Does the ribbon look like this ?

Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:

Ribbons but no medals! 7 years 8 months ago #47983

• JenniG
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi - thanks for the reply.

My grandfather was Percy Towler Inge but he was born in 1889 so is too young to have fought. All the brothers and sisters I have located were present on the 1901 census so I'm not sure if any could have qualified for QSA and KSA. Percy's father, William, was born in 1845 so was presumably too old to have served.

I have now found an M Inge in findmypast who only received the QSA - he was part of the YMCA, which is quite possible given some of my family history, but I never knew they served over there!

Ribbons but no medals! 7 years 8 months ago #47984

• JenniG
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
That's the ribbon! :cheer: A DCM?

Ribbons but no medals! 7 years 8 months ago #47990

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Hello JenniG and welcome:
On my WW I database I found one Percy Inge and a P. Inge ( same man) who qualified for the WW I Trio. S/N M2/116127 in the Royal Army Service Corps. A Pte. on the 14/15 Star and Sgt, on the War and Victory. He arrived in France on Aug. 25, 1915 and served on the Western Front. Transferred to Class Z on June 25, 1919.
There is no mention of the DCM.
I hope this helps.
Good Hunting, Badn Powell

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds