Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50083

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Ryan
The DMP were never in the Transvaal : only saw service in the Cape.
Each man's actual service is noted on the roll
Henk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50103

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Members of the Rand Rifles, in effect, the Johannesburg Town Guard, in all but name, were tasked with that particular duty from their inception, a duty they carried out, very well indeed.

rdarby wrote: Hi Mike

It's District Mounted Police. They were a unit up around Johannesburg protecting the mines.

Cheers
Ryan

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50363

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108

QSAMIKE wrote: 3. What is the actual Attorney General's Ministerial Division - Cape Colony and what did it do ?????

"Ministerial division" was the collective term for the various departments under the control of a cabinet minister, in this case, the Attorney-General. His ministerial division included the Law Department, the deeds registries, the high sheriff, the magistrates' courts (including the district police forces under their control), justices of the peace, the Cape Police, and the Detective Department.

4. The name of the commander, Commandant Sir H Stockenstrom, is the district named after the same family ?????

Yes. He was Sir Gysbert Henry Stockenstrom, 2nd baronet. The district was named after his father, Sir Andries, the first baronet.

5. What does D.M.P. stand for (District Municipal Police) ?????

As already mentioned by others, the initials stand for 'District Mounted Police'. In Cape Colony, each district had its own "rural" police force under the direction of the local magistrate. These forces were very small, and generally based in the town where the magistrate was situated, but some also had mounted men to patrol the rest of the district. These men were generally referred to as the "district mounted police".
Regards
Arthur
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50366

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good heavens, Mike, a real bargain there, notwithstanding, I suppose I should not be too surprised, a great many ignorant people, will simply respond to what they can see themselves and nothing more, although, I must say any QSA actually cheaper than a bottle of Jameson's, which retails here for as little as £12, is indeed, perhaps, rather surprising, given the scrap value!
It is a very rare medal, once you had a state of martial law, after it's declaration and the very serious matter of the second invasion with the direct threat of impending rebellion within the Colony, with all the unpleasantness that follows, you have men like Hill, who are stuck in the middle of it all and potentially are left to pick up the wretched pieces of what remains.
The model, of the both the irregular and a special police that was pursued in the Cape Colony was, perhaps unsurprisingly, copied in the Transvaal by the provisional administration during the war.

Quite frankly, the situation in the Cape was absolutely dire, you had an enemy consisting of a great many, really appalling thugs, intent on stirring up a race war, wretched Scheepers and Maritz as well as the various rebels, who thought nothing of murder and arson, you only need glance at the events at Calvina.
Native members of the Special Mounted Police, in particular, exposed themselves to a very great risk and they would have certainly required very considerable courage on a daily basis, moreover, it was certainly a very particular courage that is not found in the heat of battle, it was, far more, a rather cold courage, a very special attribute that few people naturally are able to find and keep to the fore ever day.
Had they been caught, a fairly unpleasant end was almost certainly guaranteed, a favourite "party piece" of certain enemy individuals was to "plant" an enemy, rather like a flower bulb in the ground, with only ones head left upon the surface and simply let nature do the rest.
I did send you the whole relevant section of WO100/279, if you require further clarification, let me know.
A superb medal, I should be delighted with it if I were you.

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Afternoon Ryan and Meurig.....

Thank you for the information it clears up a number of questions......

Frank......

No it was not expensive, less than an expensive bottle of Jamieson's (L 140.00)that I bought while on holidays this summer.....
I saw it for sale and just had a feeling so picked it up......

Mike

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.718 seconds