Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50061

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1882
Good Morning Everyone......

I just purchased on a whim the following QSA named CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. and as listed in F.M.P......

First name(s) - A M
Last name - Hill
Service number - Nil
Rank - Corporal
Regiment - Attorney General's Ministerial Division - Cape Colony
Rolls - WO100/279 page 136
Notes - Part of force defending Victoria East District under Commandant Sir H Stockenstrom
The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: - None

Here are my questions if anyone can answer them I would greatly appreciate it.....

1. Would he not have been a member of or fall under the control of Victoria East D.M.T. or possibly a Town Guard ?????
2. According to FMP there are 32 medals on the roll listed above, can someone who has access check please ?????
3. What is the actual Attorney General's Ministerial Division - Cape Colony and what did it do ?????
4. The name of the commander, Commandant Sir H Stockenstrom, is the district named after the same family ?????
5. What does D.M.P. stand for (District Municipal Police) ?????

Thanks in advance.......

Will post photos of naming when it arrives......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50062

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Hi Mike

It's District Mounted Police. They were a unit up around Johannesburg protecting the mines.

Cheers
Ryan

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50063

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Mike

1. Would he not have been a member of or fall under the control of Victoria East D.M.T. or possibly a Town Guard ????? - No
2. According to FMP there are 32 medals on the roll listed above, can someone who has access check please ????? - FmP is not, sadly, a complete listing of the QSA rolls, we are getting there.
3. What is the actual Attorney General's Ministerial Division - Cape Colony and what did it do ????? - some sort of law and order function, you also find Civil Commissioners and Resident Magistrates on the roll. How their law enforcement roles and responsibilities differed from the Cape Police I do not know.
4. The name of the commander, Commandant Sir H Stockenstrom, is the district named after the same family ????? - Very possibly Stockenstrom is an old settler family
5. What does D.M.P. stand for (District Municipal Police) ????? Yes. I would disagree with Ryan in part, they were somehow attached/part of the Cape Colony Government. I have a QSA to Sgt MG Starck, DMP who according to the medal roll was OC DMP Laingsburg in the Western Cape and

"On proclamation of Martial Law assisted Commandant [Hon Mjr JBC] Tottie 4th West Yorks, at Laingsburg for over 3 months. In September '01 was a scout and guide to Colonel Crabbe's column operating in the Prince Albert's and Ladismith Districts. Was instrumental in the surrounding and breaking up Commandant Van Der Merwe's Commando."

A very interesting outfit whose medals are seldom seen and worth researching for such notes.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50064

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good gracious Mike,
Medals to members of the District Mounted Police and Special Mounted Police are really rather rare and only very seldom appear these days, was it expensive?
Regards Frank

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50065

• QSAMIKE
Good Afternoon Ryan and Meurig.....

Thank you for the information it clears up a number of questions......

Frank......

No it was not expensive, less than an expensive bottle of Jamieson's (L 140.00)that I bought while on holidays this summer.....
I saw it for sale and just had a feeling so picked it up......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Attorney General's Ministerial Division - CPL. A. M. HILL, D.M.P. ???? 7 years 5 months ago #50067

• QSAMIKE
Good Evening Everyone.......

I had a look in the B. M. Forum and found the following from 2007.......

The latest City Coins catalogue (No. 57) includes the following:

Lot 28

"Cpl. A.M. Hill (toned) D.M.P. EF- R850 -1000

Men from the District Mounted Police were defined on the QSA roll (copy enclosed) as "Police, exclusive of Cape Police, regarded as entitled to the South Africa Medal". Hill served in the Special Mounted Police, Victoria East District.

He was on active service, defending the District, as part of the force called out by the Commandant, Sir H. Stockenstroom."

Brett

Our member Brett Hendey.........

Well the old saying "What Goes Around Comes Around", I wonder what it finally sold for at the City Coins Auction......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds