• Page:

TOPIC:

Story behind a medal 7 years 5 months ago #50276

• meikle
  • meikle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
This medal belonged to Private Joseph McMillan, service no. 6711, who joined the 1st Highland Light Infantry on 20th August 1898 at Hamilton Barracks.

I believe that he arrived in the Cape on the Aurania in November 1899 to join the Highland Brigade. He was also a POW briefly sometime in 1900.

Apart from what is on the clasps I don't know much more.

I'd love to know what the clasps represent in terms of his involvement in the war. Why are the clasps in such order? Is there some kind of daily war diary available.

This is my neighbour's Grandfather and she is desperate to know more.

Apologies for thew WW1 identity disc. He served his country for 17 years before being wounded in Second Ypres.

TIA
David
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Story behind a medal 7 years 5 months ago #50278

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice, has your neighbour got his other medals? I note he was wounded whilst serving with the BEF on the 17th of May 1915, an original tag is wonderful item to have and really a far more tangible link to the wretched Ypres than any medal can ever be.

Story behind a medal 7 years 5 months ago #50281

• meikle
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
This very true Frank.

The family did not know until this week that their GF served in WW1. Therefore there are 3 medals missing including the SWB.

I've got masses of info on his battalion's WW1 actions but 1st HLI in the Boer War is more difficult to get under due to lack of war diaries (IMO).

So I'm still a bit mystified about, for example, the above mentioned Modder River clasp as I can't find the battalion getting a mention on that front.

Story behind a medal 7 years 5 months ago #50284

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Meikle
"6411 Pte. McMillan" of HLI is shown as "PoW, Swalkrantz on 6/4/1900" and later released. Sounds like your man - although one digit in his number differs. The clasp "Modder River" was granted to all troops under Lt.Gen.Methuen's command who were north of Honey Nest Kloof and south of Magersfontein Ridge on 28/11/99. HLI were certainly involved at the Modder River.
If you go to the "books" section of this site, you should run across Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa" and you can look up the HLI's activities 1899-1902.
Regards
IL.

Story behind a medal 7 years 5 months ago #50285

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1882
Hi Meikle.......

Here is the general history of the medal:

www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/b...s-south-africa-medal

and here would be the general history of the regiment:

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...hland-light-infantry

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Story behind a medal 7 years 5 months ago #50287

• meikle
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

LinneyI wrote: Meikle
"6411 Pte. McMillan" of HLI is shown as "PoW, Swalkrantz on 6/4/1900" and later released. Sounds like your man - although one digit in his number differs. The clasp "Modder River" was granted to all troops under Lt.Gen.Methuen's command who were north of Honey Nest Kloof and south of Magersfontein Ridge on 28/11/99. HLI were certainly involved at the Modder River.
If you go to the "books" section of this site, you should run across Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa" and you can look up the HLI's activities 1899-1902.
Regards
IL.

Yes that typo delayed things somewhat, and you are correct, this is Pte Joseph McMillan. Thanks for the book tip I will check it out shortly.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds