• Page:

TOPIC:

VC for Boers 11 years 11 months ago #2647

• cliffcard
  • cliffcard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Was there an equivalent of the VC for the Boers?
Surely there must have been selfless acts of valour on that side of the conflict.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: VC for Boers 11 years 11 months ago #2650

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Cliffcard,

You are right. There was such a award, the DTD.

www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/b...e-voor-trouwe-dienst

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: VC for Boers 11 years 11 months ago #2655

• cliffcard
  • cliffcard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the link David.

From the information there the DTD seems to be the equivalent of the DSO or DSM.

The VC was more for act/s of extreme bravery while engaged with the enemy most often selflessly saving the life of another and quite often being wounded or killed in the process.

So, if the DTD ia the highest award, it seems that there is no equivalent.

Cliff

Re: VC for Boers 11 years 11 months ago #2657

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Cliff,

You are correct. With only the DTD to reward all acts of leadership and bravery, it does lack the ability for differentiate between different types of entitlement and this is reflected on the numbers awarded compared to the VC.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: VC for Boers 11 years 11 months ago #2658

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Cliff, I'm not sure one can really make comparisons. The very nature of the opposing forces in many ways precludes such a comparison. There wasn't any award that I'm aware of for valour in existence at the time of the war in the Boer forces. Nothing on offer, nothing to be awarded.

The ZAR did consider a "possible" award in the form of the Order of the Golden Eagle which was proposed in 1894 but rejected by the Volksraad. The design of the South African "Honoris Crux" instituted in 1952 [not to be confused with the later series by the same name instituted in 1975] was based on the design of the 1894 proposal.

The idea for the awards to former Boer forces really only came about when veterans of the conflict serving in the newly established Union Defence Force were without ribbons for their contribution but those that had served on the opposing side had a medal [or more] to show for it. WWI interrupted plans to institute awards to a degree and only in 1920 were three awards finally instituted; ABO, DTD and the Lint Voor Wonden. I suppose the ABO was the Boer's "QSA." The wound ribbon was just that. And the DTD as it name translates was a decoration for loyal service. The DTD was an officer's decoration that the officer had to apply for. In certain instances it might have been awarded for valour that had the officer been on the opposing side he might have got a VC for his actions. But overall it was an 'officers only decoration' for loyal service. At that level it is not comparable with the VC. My view is that there was no comparable VC-type award to Boer forces.

Cheers,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds