• Page:

TOPIC:

Reginald Rigg, Soldier and Solicitor 7 years 2 months ago #52239

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2150
Reginald Shaw Rigg

Lieutenant, 2nd Vol. Service Coy, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regt. – Anglo Boer War
Lieutenant, 11th Infantry, (Rand Light Infantry) – WWI

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony and Transvaal to Lieut. R.S. Rigg, R. Lanc. Regt.
- 1914/15 Star to Lt. R.S. Rigg, 11th Infantry
- British War Medal to Lt, R.S. Rigg
- Victory Medal (bilingual) to Lt. R.S. Rigg

Reginald Rigg was a leading citizen and Attorney-at-Law in Boksburg towards the latter part of his life but that is not where his story begins. Rigg was born in Kendal, Westmoreland, England on 19 March 1875 the son of James Rigg, a General Linen and Woollen Broker and his wife Mary.

The 1881 England census recorded that the Rigg family resided at 37 Stricklandgate in Kendal and that Reginald (6) had two siblings, Percival Birkett Rigg (9) and Harold Rigg (2).

Ten years later, at the time of the 1891 England census Reginald was a 16 year old schoolboy at the Sedbergh Grammar School with a growing desire to study law. The family had moved to Main Street in Sedbergh, Yorkshire where Mr Rigg was in business for his own account as a General Draper.

Rigg’s passion for the law led to this field of study which he pursued at the University of London where, at the age of 18 he passed his preliminary examination on 19 May 1893. This was followed by his intermediate examination which he passed on 7 February 1896 and then his finals which he passed on 1 July 1898. All of this whilst articled to the firm of Messrs. Maxted, Gibson & Son. Thereafter he was twelve months with Messrs. Bell, Brodrick & Gray of London before, being of an entrepreneurial spirit, he went into private practice in Morecambe, Lancashire in 1898 for a short period.

Rigg and brother officers in Lancaster before sailing for the front

Life was most likely reasonably tranquil for Rigg but this was to be short-lived; the Anglo Boer War between the two Dutch Republics of the Orange Free State and Transvaal in far-away South Africa were about to embark on what proved to be a long and protracted war with Great Britain and much of her Empire. On 11 October 1899 hostilities between the protagonists commenced and Rigg, his sense of duty and patriotism aroused, did what so many others were doing – he joined for service in the war in his instance with the volunteer battalion of the Kings Royal Lancaster Regiment and was commissioned as a Lieutenant.

The Lancashire Daily Post of Tuesday, 22 January 1901 carried an article which read thus,

The Call To Arms – Lancaster

The scenes around the Lancaster Drill Hall last night, when the men who had volunteered for service at the front presented themselves for final examination, were of an animated description. Lt. Col. Allen was in attendance, and 46 in all were passed, including three officers. The officers chosen are Second-Lieutenant Allen, Second-Lieutenant Rigg, and Second-Lieutenant Bates, who have all only quite recently joined. Mr Rigg is a practicing solicitor at Morecambe and was sometime secretary of the Lancaster Rowing Club. They have been accepted for service at the front.”

The Yorkshire post of Friday, 22 March 1901 followed suit with an article which read,

The Mayor of Lancaster last night entertained to supper the members of the Active Service Company of the King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment. The Company who will sail from London tomorrow afternoon, are under the command of Captain Wadham, Barrow, the other officers being Lieuts. J. Allen (Jnr) and R.S. Rigg of Lancaster.

Having enlisted on 1 March 1901 he was only later drafted to South Africa arriving in Durban during May 1902 (according to a biographical sketch produced on him) – this would have been a short while before the end of the war was declared with the Peace of Vereeniging. It was further claimed that, on arrival in Durban, his ship was re-directed to Cape Town where he arrived after the cessation of hostilities but we know that not to be the case as he was awarded the clasps Cape Colony and Transvaal to his Queens Medal – proof positive that he spent some time in combat areas on South African soil. Added to this is the fact that the aforementioned clasps were awarded off the medal roll dated at Dundee, Natal on 15 September 1901 showing that he was, indeed, active well before the war ended.

Rigg can be seen wearing the white pith helmet - it is not known why he was wearing a kilt

Whatever the case was Rigg was so enamoured with the country that he undertook to return. But first there was the matter of “finishing business” in the home country. A newspaper article shortly after the regiment returned to England read as follows,

Lancaster’s welcome- Return of the Second Active Service Company

The Second Active Service Company of Royal Lancaster Volunteers’, who reached Southampton by the “Syria” on Tuesday night, arrived in Lancaster at half past eleven on Wednesday night, having journeyed via the Midlands route and Leeds. The demonstration accorded the men equalled, if it did not surpass, the most enthusiastic greeting ever accorded to home coming troops in the military town. The men numbered 78, 10 having been previously invalided home, while three are left behind in hospital, and several have settled in South Africa. The officers of the company are… and Lt. R.S. Rigg, Morecambe.

The men marched direct to the King’s Arms Hotel where the Mayor, who was supported by members of the Corps, entertained them to a hot supper. While the men were thus being hospitably entertained the crowd outside indulged in singing popular songs. After receiving their pay the men proceeded to their homes yesterday.”

A year or so after Rigg made good on his commitment to himself to return to South Africa the following snippet appeared in the Lancashire General Advertiser in June 1904:

Morecambe War Memorial

In the Parish church, Morecambe, yesterday after divine service Colonel Murray, commanding the regimental district, unveiled a tablet which has been erected to commemorate the patriotism of Lieutenant R.S. Rigg, 2nd V.B. King’s Own Royal Lancashire Regiment, and ten members of the Morecambe Division of the St. John Ambulance, who served in the Boer war. The tablet is in hammered copper work, finished in silver and iridescent oxydising, and is for feet by two feet 10 inches.”

Back in South Africa at the end of 1902 Rigg was admitted as an Attorney of the Transvaal Supreme Court and made his home in the Transvaal entering the firm of attorney’s Messrs. Van Hulsteyn, Feltham & Fry in Johannesburg where he remained until the end of 1904. At which time he opened independently at Boksburg on the East Rand where he was to spend the remainder of his life, attracting a substantial clientele.

During 1904 he undertook the defence of a Boksburg miner charged with the murder of a Chinaman, whom it was alleged had been thrown down a mine shaft by him. The evidence was contradictory and Rigg, the Prosecutor and the Magistrate proceeded to the mine shaft by horse cart and after an inspection of the scene of the alleged murder the accused was found not guilty and discharged.

His first office in Boksburg was a small corrugated iron structure which building was only demolished in 1980. On 3 July 1907 he married Ethel Maud Marshall at the Church of St. John the Divine in Belgravia, Johannesburg. Ethel, like himself, hailed from the town of Morecambe. He was 32 and she a 24 year old spinster. But it was the year before that, 1906, that was to prove pivotal in his business life – it was in that year that he went into partnership with Christiaan Frederick Beyers, a relative of the great Boer General of the same name. Back on the home front Rigg joined the Free Masons thereby beginning a life-long association with them.

Rigg in 1905

Now established in business he turned his attentions to the creation of a family – on 12 May 1908 daughter Hazel Mary was born to the couple who then resided at 21 Railway Street, Vogelfontein, Boksburg. This happy event was followed by the birth of Kathleen Violet on 3 July 1909, Kenneth Marshall on 22 December 1910 and Arnold Leslie on 22 July 1912.

With the dawn of 1914 no-one could have predicted that, within a short eight months, the world would be embroiled in a war that was, hitherto unprecedented in terms of its scale and magnitude – the Great War or the “War to end all Wars” was between the might of the British Empire and Germany and her Allies on the other. South Africa, so recently torn asunder with the Boers pitted against the British during the Anglo Boer War, came out on the side of the British. This decision occasioned a fresh round of rebellion with die-hard Dutchmen from the Orange Free State and the Transvaal taking up arms in what was an internal revolution. General Botha, the Prime Minister with Smuts, his Minister of Defence, deployed a number of loyal military regiments to those areas where the Boer Commandos were to be found and, within a short space of time the rebellion was crushed freeing the South African forces to enter German South West Africa.

Riggs joined the Rand Light Infantry and was commissioned as a Lieutenant. Now 39 years of age he embarked for the Luderitzbucht on 19 October 1914 aboard the “City of Athens”. For the first while the R.L.I. and others marked time whilst the rebellion played itself out in South Africa. There were only minor actions as the South African troops pushed the Germans out of Kolmanskuppe and further back along the railway. Rigg and his regiment were involved in this skirmish when they, along with the Imperial Light Horse, tried to intercept the German retreat.

At Tschaukaib on 29 November 1914 the men got their first exposure to aerial warfare. A German plane flown by “Fritz” approached the camp where the R.L.I. were stationed. The men reputedly lay on their backs and let fly with every rifle they had. The plane circled the camp and dropped a bomb made by using an artillery shell tied to long streamer of cloth. “It went off with a real bang” but no-one was hurt. Another bomb dropped wounding two men with a third failing to explode.

After Windhoek had fallen the majority of South African troops were sent home but not the Rand Light Infantry who were sent north to reinforce General Botha’s force which, by 9 July 1915 had taken Otavi and effected the total surrender of the German army in the territory. Rigg meanwhile had been treated at Swakopmund from 9 to 13 May 1915 with a bout of Diarrhoea. Fully recovered he returned to duty.

Whilst Rigg was playing his part in German South West Africa his partner in the firm of Malherbe and Rigg back home in Boksburg was not having as much “fun”. On 14 June 1915 Malherbe wrote a long, rambling letter to the Secretary for Defence as follows,

“Sir

Re: Lieut. R.S. Rigg

My object in writing to you is to endeavour to obtain the discharge of Lieutenant R.S. Rigg from Active Service to enable him to return to Boksburg from German South West Africa. He is with “B” Company, Rand Light Infantry.

Realising that my request is unusual, and possibly inopportune, it is with some reluctance that I approach you in the matter, but owing to the importance of the various interests hereafter referred to I feel compelled to make an effort to secure Lieut. Rigg’s return.

The circumstances are as follows:-

Lieut. Rigg and myself have been carrying on business in partnership as Solicitors, etc., for some years at Boksburg. Prior to April 1914, I had for some time been in very indifferent health, and acting upon Medical advice I left for six months’ holiday in Europe. Upon my return towards the end of October last I found that Lieut. Rigg had a fortnight previously suddenly left for Active Service in German South West Africa. Our practice being not a large one (being a country practice) we have not had the services of a clerk competent to deal with any important matters entrusted to our charge, and these have always had our personal attention.

In consequence of Mr Rigg’s departure during my absence it was, therefore, not possible for him to convey to me the fullest information and instructions in certain matters; and in other matters, owing to their peculiar character, his continued personal attention was necessary; so that certain matters are being held over pending his return at considerable inconvenience and prejudice to clients.

At the end of May last our most experienced clerk, who had been with me and my firm some ten years, left our service of his own accord, and the temporary assistance I have been able to secure is not of a nature to afford me much personal relief. The result is that I am now doing the work of three. That circumstance, though entailing very considerable night work, and while gradually impairing the good results of my holiday, would not induce me to apply to you for relief.

Anyone familiar with the conduct of a country practice knows that personal attention to clients is an essential which an exacting clientele insists on, and in present circumstances I have not been surprised on many occasions to realise that important clients who, by reason of their confidential relations with us, cannot seek legal assistance elsewhere, have had to put up with more inconvenience than I can with safety impose upon them with due regard to their continued favour.

Moreover Mr Rigg’s personality is necessarily of much importance to the business, and the fact that for fourteen months the business, in which two partners are essential , has been carried on by one, and is now being run with one unaided even by very necessary assistance, will indicate to you the extent to which the business is suffering, and the sacrifices we have already made and have still to contemplate , and, what is most important, the interests of clients in connection with matters awaiting Mr Rigg’s attention, and which he alone can deal with.

I have put the matter to you at some length in order to convince you that Mr Rigg’s return is of the utmost importance.

In conclusion I should like to assure you that in urging Lieut. Rigg’s discharge I do so with a full sense of the importance of my request in view of the Military Operations the Government is presently engaged in.

I have the honour etc.”

This humble but voluminous request was apparently successful – possibly because the Military were aware that the campaign was almost over. On 28 June 1915 Malherbe directed another, shorter, epistle to the Secretary for Defence – it read as follows,

I have the honour to acknowledge the due receipt of your letter of the 25th instant, advising me that my application in regard to the release from Active Service of Mr Rigg has been favourably represented. I am much indebted to you for your kind and favourable attention to the matter.

I have the honour etc.”

In the final analysis Rigg’s partner had engineered an early release for him of exactly seven days before the campaign ended. He was released on 2 July 1915 the war ending on 9 July. For his efforts he was awarded the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. Rig was to play no further part in the military establishment – on 19 March 1935 he was placed on the Retired List with the rank of Lieutenant.

Life in Boksburg in his legal practice continued unabated and, in his personal reminiscences, he tells of how he would cycle from Boksburg to nearby Springs on his bicycle with his rifle slung over his shoulder, to attend court which sat there once a week and on his return used to shoot buck in the vicinity of the present Vandykpark Township. Small game was still plentiful I want was yet to be a developed area.

Rigg also recalled how, on many occasions, he was opposed in both civil and criminal court matters by the legendary Mahatma Ghandi but his greatest legal battle took place on Friday, 3 October 1958 when he was already 83 years old and was reported thus,

Case of General Beyers’ Old House makes legal History – Local Man Wins Appeal Against Railways

‘Legal history was made last week, when a Boksburg pioneer, Mr R.S. Rigg, successfully appealed in the Appeal Court, Bloemfontein, against the South Africa Railways. He was the first person to ever challenge the validity of the English section of the Lands Clauses Consolidation Act of 1845. This was an English Act, similarly promulgated in Natal in 1898.

The case will be recorded in the law reports of England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Canada, Australia and South Africa.

The history of the case concerned a certain portion of ground expropriated from Mr Rigg’s house, near the Boksburg Station, by the S.A.R. for the construction of the Comet Road bridge. Mr Rigg’s house was formerly the home of the late General C.F. Beyers, who was well known for his daring exploits during the Boer war.

When the case was heard by Justice Hiemstra in the Witwatersrand Local Division of the Supreme Court, judgement was given against Mr Rigg. His appeal was heard by Mr Acting Chief Justice Schreiner, Mr Justice Price, Mr Justice Steyn, Mr Justice Ogilvie and Mr Justice Malan on October 16th. Judgement was reserved and was handed down last Friday.

The action stemmed from the amount of ground left on Mr Rigg’s property after the Railway’s expropriation. Mr Rigg claimed that he was left with less than an acre (properties were large in those days). The Act stated that if an amount of less than an acre was left, the Administration was required to purchase the remainder. Earlier the Railways had tendered an amount of £20 in full and final settlement for the ground expropriated. This amount Mr Rigg refused. Later they offered an amount of £1 150 in full and final settlement, but again it was refused. The value of the ground and buildings under dispute was said to be in excess of £8 000.

Under the Appeal Court judgment the Railways were now obliged to purchase the remainder of the ground from Mr Rigg. There is a strong rumour that the Railways now have to buy the house, they will hand it over to the National Monuments Council so that it may be declared a historical monument because it belonged to General Beyers.

While Mr Rigg has occupied it since 1905, he has kept it very much in its original condition. Today, apart from its having its view obstructed by the newly constructed railway bridge, two massive palm trees shadowed the verandah where General Beyers once sat and sipped his coffee.”

Rigg was a noted member of the Free Masons and featured prominently in their local publications – he was also well known for his charitable works. A memento the family still has is a letter written to Rigg by the legendary “Bomber” Harris of World War II fame inviting Rigg to “let him know if you are ever over here.” The letter is signed and ends off “Yours Fraternally” which, I surmise, is a Free Mason greeting.

After a long and full life Reginald Shaw Rigg passed away at the Boksburg-Benoni Hospital on 24 May 1963 at the age of 88 years 2 months. His wife had predeceased him on 17 April 1957. His residence at the time of his death was 25 Cedar Avenue, Plantation, Boksburg and he was survived by his two daughters. His son Kenneth was Killed in Action in World War II. A wealthy man to the end – his estate left an amount of R 99 859 for distribution to his heirs

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Reginald Rigg, Soldier and Solicitor 7 years 2 months ago #52240

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Rory,
I find the double Beyers connection absolutely fascinating, I have long had a special interest in that wretched fellow, tell me though, was Rigg only commissioned into the ACF on the outbreak of war or had he actually served in the Transvaal Volunteer Force prior to that, I ask, simply because, he strikes me as exactly the sort that the latter liked to employ and there were a great many like him.
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Reginald Rigg, Soldier and Solicitor 7 years 2 months ago #52242

• QSAMIKE
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1879
Another great piece of research Rory.......

Makes you chuckle looking at the picture of the all nice and neat Officers at the beginning and rough later, a typical before and after picture......

Bravo Zulu Rory

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Reginald Rigg, Soldier and Solicitor 7 years 2 months ago #52246

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It was just the same fifteen years later on, but, I suppose, understandable, after all, it was all going to be over by Christmas!
The Anglo Boer War was a dress rehearsal!

QSAMIKE wrote: Another great piece of research Rory.......

Makes you chuckle looking at the picture of the all nice and neat Officers at the beginning and rough later, a typical before and after picture......

Bravo Zulu Rory

Mike

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.830 seconds