Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

MANY HAPPY RETURNS! 7 years 3 weeks ago #52905

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Forum members
IL was leafing through his folders the other day and got to thinking if others of like interests had experienced "Many Happy Returns"; the disposal of a medal/medals due to a variety of reasons (necessity, lack of interest at the time, or pick a reason) and - much later - again encountering and re-acquiring one or more of the disposed-of items. The encountering may be in a Dealer's list or on a favourite on-line auction site. And no matter how the encounter. The bug bit again.
This writer will open the topic by going back to 1977; a time in OZ when not a lot of QSAs came up and ,when they did, researching was only possible by medal roll search by UK Researchers. Many did not bother. Moreover, Stirling's two books had vanished from the stacks of the State Library! The only hope was Regimental Histories - and good luck with that. Of course, there was no internet. At around that time, IL had been fortunate to obtain the monthly/three monthly (?) lists of Stan Kaplan, RSA. The exchange rate was good and some interesting Colonial Horse items were purchased. I always found Stan Kaplan to be a real Gentleman.
In 1977, IL purchased a QSA/KSA pair to Nesbitt's Horse:

QSA clasp "Cape Colony" and impressed to "1523 Tpr. E.S.Peterson, Nesbitt's Horse"
KSA usual two clasps and impressed as above - but no Regimental number.

Many years later, the whole collection was sold. Many years after that, Tpr. Peterson's medals turned up quite unexpectedly on a Dealer's table at an Arms Fair. Suitable action was taken.

Have others had similar examples of Many Happy Returns? If so, they might be good enough to share them. Indeed, IL has had Many Happy Returns happen again twice! Just goes to show the World is a pretty small place.
Regards to all
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MANY HAPPY RETURNS! 7 years 3 weeks ago #52906

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Captain Stirling's books simply "vanished" from the library?
Really?
Is there anything else you might want to add, Ian?
Never too late to "fess up" although, I suppose, doing it publically might not be for the best.
A very nice pair, what does WO126/95-98 have to say?
Nesbitt's Horse was raised in Grahamstown on the 29th of December 1899 and as such, they were extant for the bulk of the Anglo Boer War, actually being disbanded there, well after Vereeniging on the 14th of August 1902, a very good regiment and one that is, so often, simply ignored, one assumes, because, of a complete lack and utter understanding of what had actually gone on in the Cape Colony, in particular, during the wretched rebellion and those final few months.

LinneyI wrote: Forum members
IL was leafing through his folders the other day and got to thinking if others of like interests had experienced "Many Happy Returns"; the disposal of a medal/medals due to a variety of reasons (necessity, lack of interest at the time, or pick a reason) and - much later - again encountering and re-acquiring one or more of the disposed-of items. The encountering may be in a Dealer's list or on a favourite on-line auction site. And no matter how the encounter. The bug bit again.
This writer will open the topic by going back to 1977; a time in OZ when not a lot of QSAs came up and ,when they did, researching was only possible by medal roll search by UK Researchers. Many did not bother. Moreover, Stirling's two books had vanished from the stacks of the State Library! The only hope was Regimental Histories - and good luck with that. Of course, there was no internet. At around that time, IL had been fortunate to obtain the monthly/three monthly (?) lists of Stan Kaplan, RSA. The exchange rate was good and some interesting Colonial Horse items were purchased. I always found Stan Kaplan to be a real Gentleman.
In 1977, IL purchased a QSA/KSA pair to Nesbitt's Horse:

QSA clasp "Cape Colony" and impressed to "1523 Tpr. E.S.Peterson, Nesbitt's Horse"
KSA usual two clasps and impressed as above - but no Regimental number.

Many years later, the whole collection was sold. Many years after that, Tpr. Peterson's medals turned up quite unexpectedly on a Dealer's table at an Arms Fair. Suitable action was taken.

Have others had similar examples of Many Happy Returns? If so, they might be good enough to share them. Indeed, IL has had Many Happy Returns happen again twice! Just goes to show the World is a pretty small place.
Regards to all
IL.

MANY HAPPY RETURNS! 7 years 2 weeks ago #52911

• LinneyI
Frank
No, IL did not pinch Stirling's books! I had a "request" form in for them on several occasions in the 70's/80's; to no avail! Upon recommencing the collection, Stirling's books were the first two obtained via an on-line dealer in the UniK. When I finally saw a synopsis of NH in the Cape, I realised the Petersen pair was definitely worth having.
Surely SOMEBODY else can report an example or examples of MANY HAPPY RETURNS?
Regards
IL.

MANY HAPPY RETURNS! 7 years 2 weeks ago #52918

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Relieved to hear that, Ian, it is a lovely pair, interestingly, their supplementary roll in WO100/262 show him as entitled to the South Africa 1901 clasp, which appears to have been returned in 1909, but, he is shown on their KSA roll in WO100/363, no number is shown and nothing to suggest it was not issued, his name is shown as both Ernest E and Ernest S, again, very nice and certainly worth you taking further.

MANY HAPPY RETURNS! 7 years 2 weeks ago #52922

• LinneyI
Frank
Thanks for your valued input. The Peterson pair is on the "to do" list for research (has been for quite a while - other things have taken priority). However, I don't expect to find much and would be happy to be proved wrong. Stirling gives a good idea of what it could take to earn the "Cape Colony" clasp.
Ages ago, I ran into an NH QSA carrying x3 "engagement" clasps; plus CC and SA01. When I have it researched, I will report.
Best regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds