Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Natal Police Group 7 years 1 week ago #53016

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2147
Here's a recent acquisition which, although similar to the one I posted at the top of this thread, has the Defence of Ladysmith clasp.

I think it must be quite rare to have the same combination (including the Permanent Empire Over the Seas medal) - one with the Relief of Ladysmith and the other with the Defence.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Police Group 7 years 1 week ago #53018

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Indeed, Rory! Thank you for showing them.
Regards
Brett

Natal Police Group 7 years 1 week ago #53025

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Thanks for showing another very nice group........

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Natal Police Group 7 years 1 week ago #53026

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
I did not realise that, Brett. I presumed they would have undertaken this work before but, thinking about, I can see now this was not the case. That said, I wonder why they did not replicate the style of the then prevalent QSA?
Dr David Biggins

Natal Police Group 7 years 1 week ago #53046

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Since giving my opinion on the manufacture and naming of the Rebellion Medal, I have looked again at the background to the Medal given with the medal roll published by the Naval & Military Press. It states that "The Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Ltd., of London (now Garrard & Co. Ltd.), designed, manufactured and apparently also named the medals." So it seems that the dies that turned up in Maritzburg must have been sent there from London after the manufacture and naming had been completed. If the naming was indeed done in London, then it is likely that the device used for the characteristic light impressed naming was also sent to Maritzburg. I have the medal of Cpl John Silamela, Natal Native Horse, which, according to the roll, was officially re-engraved and re-issued on 15th March 1962, and the naming is no different from the naming of other Rebellion Medals in my collection. Perhaps Garrard & Co still have records that could finally settle this matter.

Officially, the less Britain had to do with commemorating the suppression of this rebellion, the better the Government in London would have liked it. One of the most vocal critics was Winston Churchill, who referred to Natal as that "hooligan Colony", and he hesitated "to impress upon them an Imperial Medal, in view of the distaste which this Colony has so strongly evinced for outside interference of all kinds." One well supported recommendation for the award of a Victoria Cross was reduced to a 'Mentioned in Despatches' in London, and this rebuff also applied to all except three officers who had distinguished themselves in the field. Only the three most senior officers were awarded British decorations. Ironically, they were the men ultimately most culpable for the excesses that so upset the liberals in Britain. By contrast, the Colony had its own solution for rewarding the others ranks:
Distinguished Conduct Medal (Natal) (MYB 42), of which eight were awarded, and the Colonial Meritorious Service Medal (Natal) (MYB 212), of which 12 were awarded.

Brett

Natal Police Group 7 years 1 week ago #53047

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Brett
I seem to recall reading that WSC was also less than complimentary about the actual metal the Natal Rebellion medal was made from. Wish I could find the reference. I seem to recall he thought the medal should have been made from lead or something similar.
I don't know why, either.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.472 seconds