Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

MANCHESTER REGIMENT WILLIAM UNSWORTH - DID HE SERVE IN BOER WAR? 6 years 10 months ago #53386

• KFS
  • KFS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there I've recently been doing research on a Private William Unsworth No. 9573 2nd Manchester Regiment who died of wounds during the First World War on 30/05/1915. The CWGC site shows him as having served during the South African Campaign and I do know he was charged with loosing his medal whilst in barracks in 1904. Although I am not sure what medal this is as it isn't mentioned in his court proceedings. To confuse matters I believe there was also another William Unsworth serving definitely in the Boer War and I think he also became a casualty during WW1. Does anyone know how I can see if my chap served during the boer campaign? He was the son of Mr and Mrs Unsworth from 28 Claremont St in Salford if that helps and was 32 when he died of wounds received at Kemmel Hill. I have papers showing him attesting for service in 1904 but nothing earlier. If anyone can help I would be greatful. Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MANCHESTER REGIMENT WILLIAM UNSWORTH - DID HE SERVE IN BOER WAR? 6 years 10 months ago #53389

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite Frankly, if you actually read each surviving folio in WO363 you can safely assume the two men are actually one and the same, despite his age, the British Army was keen on all it could get, a seventeen year old boy in the Militia could certainly serve in South Africa, even if he could not vote, he was old enough to die for the Empire, moreover, his QSA is very clearly verified in WO100/198, when the regiments establishment was increased by two Regular Battalions, it's Militia Battalions were renumbered, the 3rd became the 5th, it would be a particularly nice medal to have.
The obvious thing to do next would be a manual search in WO96 at Kew.

MANCHESTER REGIMENT WILLIAM UNSWORTH - DID HE SERVE IN BOER WAR? 6 years 10 months ago #53403

• KFS
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank thanks for the help. I don't suppose you know William Unsworths regiment number for his service during the Boer War? In the attestation papers I have for my chap he doesn't mention any service prior to 1904. Although he does definitely have a medal that goes missing in 1904 when he is charged with its loss. Possibly it is a different William Unsworth who served in the Boer War but until the end of the month I don't have access to any war research online archives. Hope you could help again. Thanks Chris.

MANCHESTER REGIMENT WILLIAM UNSWORTH - DID HE SERVE IN BOER WAR? 6 years 10 months ago #53409

• Frank Kelley
Hello Chris,
Sorry, I thought you said that you actually had his papers in your original post, if you have, if you read them, you will note the badly damaged folio, dated the 9th of January 1904, which states very clearly;

THE OFFICER COMMANDING HAVING NOTIFIED THE FINAL APPROVAL FOR THE MANCHESTER REGIMENT OF NUMBER 7472 Pte Wm UNSWORTH, I HAVE NO OBJECTION TO HIS ENLISTMENT AND TO FORWARD TO YOU THE FOLLOWING PARTICULARS REGARDING HIM, VIZ.

and so on,

IN POSSESION OF S AFRICA MEDAL + CLASPS OF STATE C COLONY 1901-2

As you can clearly see, Unsworth served in the Militia, the 5th Manchester Regiment during the Anglo Boer War and was serving in the Militia upon joining the Army in 1904.
As stated, his medal and four clasps are clearly verified both on the roll from which they were issued, WO100/198, main and in particular regard to the date clasps, the supplementary and as shown, in WO363.
As mentioned before, a manual search should be made in WO96, although, quite frankly, given the above, that, in itself, is hardly needed, given that you already have his basic details from his Militia service, which began on the 11th of February 1901.
The QSA would be a very pleasing medal to have, if still extant today.
Regards Frank

MANCHESTER REGIMENT WILLIAM UNSWORTH - DID HE SERVE IN BOER WAR? 6 years 10 months ago #53699

• KFS
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Sorry for late reply only just got back online. Really appreciate the time you took in clearing this up for me Frank. Unfortunately I only have William's WW1 Victory Medal but like you say his Boer War Medal would be a great find especially as it looks like it was stolen from him in 1904. Regards chris

MANCHESTER REGIMENT WILLIAM UNSWORTH - DID HE SERVE IN BOER WAR? 6 years 10 months ago #53700

• Frank Kelley
Hello Chris,
William Unsworth was an Old Contemptible, amongst the finest Imperial infantry and I would certainly be very pleased to have his medals in my collection, it is a great shame when groups get split up, for various reasons, but, you never really know, one day, if they remain extant, they may turn up, Unsworth himself never had his Great War medals, the plaque, I would think, will certainly be extant too.
Unsworth appears not to have had his QSA for very long either, so all you can do, is to keep on looking, one day, perhaps.
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds