Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Timothy Mullane, AB, RN, HMS DORIS 6 years 10 months ago #54332

• Baden Powell
  • Baden Powell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 34
A recent rather large exchange of medals with a long-time friend and fellow collector brought six medals into my hands. One of which was a two clasp QSA, Cape Colony and Paardeberg to T. (Timothy) Mullane, AB, RN, HMS DORIS. Along with the medal was a single page from ADM 171/54 listing MULLANE as landed from HMS DORIS on 28 Nov 1899 at Simonstown. The page didnot include Officers and Petty Officers thus making it difficult to trace MULLANE's movements ashore. I was unable to download the necessary page to proceed. Using other period books and AFLOAT AND ASHORE it would those sailors landing that date joined Grant's Guns and crewed "Little Bobs", a 4.7 inch naval gun. I did find that a number of te sailors were invalided to Simonstown befor the Relief of Ladysmith qualification period started. This would/might explain why only 7 sailors received only the two clasps.
MULLANE was born 18 March, 1878 in Killeagh, County Cork. This about ended my limit to research further. Then last evening while sitting in my study, I chanced to glance a stack of N&M Press CD's which included Sailors Died, WW I. On that whim I entered MULLANE and up popped his name as a casualty(killed) as a result of enemy action. Checking CWGC I found this.

The sinking of HMS LAURENTIC is a story in its self. Bound for Canada with 43 tons of gold ingots on board.
That brings us up to date.
Thanks for reading, James
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timothy Mullane, AB, RN, HMS DORIS 6 years 10 months ago #54333

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
Very impressive James. Naval QSA's especially those with battle bars, are highly sought after.

Let me know when you want to do a similar swap!

Regards

Rory

Timothy Mullane, AB, RN, HMS DORIS 4 years 6 months ago #66305

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
This medal is included in the next DNW auction.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds