Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Imp Lt Horse 6 years 9 months ago #54362

• FSburgher
  • FSburgher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Forumites
I have recently acquired the QSA & KSA pair to Major Walter deS. Maud, Imp Lt Horse and accompanying the medals some interesting correspondence relating to some Texan cattlemen whom he evidently hired to come to the Transvaal at the end of the Boer war. Evidently he also had a spell with the 71st Foot Regiment before coming to the Transvaal and enlisting with the 2nd Imp Lt Hse Rgt in Pietermaritzburg, Natal.
He may have been an 'Uitlander' fortune seeking immigrant to the Transvaal?
Can anyone shed more light on this Colonial Officer ? Has he got any other medal entitlement? Where should I start looking?
If somebody has the medal roll I'd happily buy same to add to the history of Major Maud.
tkx Evyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imp Lt Horse 6 years 9 months ago #54363

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Walter De Saumarez Maud I assume, very interesting too.

Imp Lt Horse 6 years 9 months ago #54376

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Evyn

Someone achieved a re-unite, DNW sold his KSA in 2014. Check their catalogue to see if there is more info.

The Army List would give you a career summary, but you need a run of them covering his years as an officer, I only have two for 1885 and 1903.

Check Ancestry for medal rolls.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Imp Lt Horse 6 years 8 months ago #55005

• uggen
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have done extensive research on Major Walter de Saumarez Maud and am very interested in the documentation which you have regarding the Major's Texas cattle business. I look forward to hearing from you and sharing what I have on the Major.
John Uggen: [email protected]

Imp Lt Horse 6 years 8 months ago #55093

• Aud
  • Thank you received: 16
I did some research on this man in 2008 and will be communicating with Evyn on providing documentation that I found at that time.
Audrey
Rhino Research
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSburgher

Imp Lt Horse 6 years 8 months ago #55134

• uggen
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I look forward to receiving information on Major Walter de Saumarez Maud. I have done extensive research on Major Maud for a book I am writing about the construction of the Guayaquil and Quito Railroad in Ecuador. After Maud left South Africa he invested in the Cavalier Syndicate, Ltd., a company formed to search for the so-called Cocos Island treasure. He sailed from England (Cowes) in 1904 but the ship ran into trouble after rounding the tip of South America and eventually ended up in Guayaquil where the Syndicate sold the Cavalier yacht to Archer Harman, the promoter of the railroad enterprise in Ecuador. What I am most interested in finding out is whether Harman or his brother Major John Harman were investors in the Syndicate. The captain of the Cavalier, Q.Q.B Sheppard, died of yellow fever and was buried at sea. The ship apparently continued from Guayaquil and may have reached the Cocos Islands off of Costa Rica but abandoned the search and sold the ship in Guayaquil. The Cavalier itself has an interesting history if anyone is interested....
John Uggen

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds