Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The DTD : is it really like a DSO or just an officers campaign medal? 6 years 6 months ago #56010

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Does anyone (Henk maybe?) know if there is a warrant or source document describing what the DTD really was meant to be? These days we often describe it as the Boer DSO. However if you had to apply for it by filling in a form, surely that makes it a campaign medal?

For it to be a real decoration I would have expected others to nominate you first at least, and for there to be more of a process of selecting people.

What do you think?

Cheers
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The DTD : is it really like a DSO or just an officers campaign medal? 6 years 6 months ago #56012

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
This partly answers my question. I just need to work through the Dutch. So far I make it out to be a decoration yes, but possibly only so called because it is for officers, and the criteria are the same as for the medal?

samilitaryhistory.org/vol011fo.html

1. Een dekoratie, te worden genoemd de "Dekoratie voor Trouwe Dienst, 1899-1902," wordt hiermede ingesteld voor toekenning aan die officieren van de strijdmachten van de Zuidafrikaanse Republiek en de Oranje Vrijstaat, welke, als burgers van die Staten, gedurende de Anglo-Boeroorlog, 1899-1902, onderscheiden en voortreffelike dienst in die strijdmachten hebben bewezen en tans als burgers van de Unie van Zuid-Afrika, in de Unie Verdedigingsmacht dienst doen of gehouden zijn alzo dienst te doen indien daartoe opgeroepen onder de Zuid-Afrika Verdedigingswet, 1912.

Beschrijving van Medalje.

2. De dekoratie zal van zilver en cirkelvormig zijn en zal op de ene zijde hebben het Wapen van de Zuidafrikaanse Republiek en de woorden "Voor Trouwe Dienst, 1899-1902"; op de andere zijde het Wapen Van de Orange Vrijstaat en de woorden "Voor Trouwe Dienst, 1899-1902," en op de rand ervan de naam en rang van de ontvanger.

Lint.

3. De kleur van het lint zal zijn rood, groen, blauw, oranje en wit.

Voorwaarden van Toekenning.

4. De dekoratie kan toegekend worden aan officieren van de strijdmachten van de Zuidafrikaanse Republiek en de Oranje Vrijstaat, wier diensten gedurende de Anglo-Boeroorlog, 1899-1902, van zo een Voortreffelike aard waren dat zij, naar oordeel van de Minister van Verdediging, speciale erkenning verdienen.

Bekendmaking in Staatskoerant.

5. De namen van alle officieren aan wie de Minister van Verdediging deze dekoratie mocht toekennen zullen in die Staatskoeront gepubliceerd worden. Officieron aan wie deze dekoratie toegekend gerechtigd zijn op 'n navoeging acbter hun namen van de letters D.T.D.

Verbeuring.

6. Ten einde de eervolle onderscheiding van deze dekoratie te bewaren wordt het bepaald dat indien iemand, aan wie de officiersdekoratie toegekend is, veroordeeld wordt wegens verraad, lafhartigheid of enig schandelike misdaad, hij dan de dokoratie onmiddellik zal verbeuren. De Minister van Verdediging zal de enige beoordelaar sijn of het gedrag van de houder van deze dekoratie van zo een aard is om de verbeuring ervan to rechtvaardigen. Van de verbeuring van deze dekoratie, evenals van de toekenning ervan, zal behoorlik kennis worden gegeven in de Staatskoerant.

The DTD : is it really like a DSO or just an officers campaign medal? 6 years 6 months ago #56018

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
A Boer participant had to apply for an ABO and the Wound Riband : the Vorm "B" and Vorm "C" is headed AANVRAAG i.e.Application.
Vorm "A" for the DTD is headed AANBEVELING i.e. Recommendation and the first column is headed "Full Name and Address of Recommended Officer" It had to be signed by a Boer Officer under which the had Applicant served.
It often happened that an applicant filled in the forms himself and submitted it for signature. After all, the Boer Forces functioned in a much more informal way than their rigid British counterparts!!
Henk

The DTD : is it really like a DSO or just an officers campaign medal? 6 years 6 months ago #56019

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would and indeed, have, always regarded it, as a decoration, I feel that the Union Government were actually a little tight fisted, but, then, sadly, given the circumstances, they had their own, particular agenda, to adhere to.

The DTD : is it really like a DSO or just an officers campaign medal? 6 years 6 months ago #56020

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
I can add that if a DTD applicant was unable to find an Officer under whom he had served another officer , who could personally vouch for the accuracy of the applicants service, could sign the form
Henk

The DTD : is it really like a DSO or just an officers campaign medal? 6 years 6 months ago #56021

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108
The regulations published in Government Gazette 1111 (24 December 1920) clearly give the three awards different status :

"(a) a decoration for devoted service to officers of those forces who rendered distinguished and specially meritorious service during that war;

"(b) a medal to all ranks of those forces who did military service during that war;

"(c) a wound riband to members of those forces who received wounds for action during that war."

The DTD was certainly for more than just being there. Officers had to have "rendered distinguished and specially meritorious service" which, in the opinion of the Minister of Defence, "was of sufficient merit to justify special recognition."

Further, "to preserve the honourable distinction of this decoration," it could be forfeited if a recipient was "convicted of treason, cowardice, or any infamous crime."

For comparison : the criteria for the DSO at the time of the ABW were "meritorious or distinguished service in the field or before the enemy."
Regards
Arthur

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.483 seconds