Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gorringe's Flying Column & 8th Mounted Rifles 6 years 4 months ago #56795

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
A new addition to the collection is this rather pleasing grouping to Norman Hugh Collett.

Collett came from the Cradock area and served as a Trooper with Gorringe's Flying Column in the eastern Cape - he was then commissioned in the 8th Mounted Rifles - the Middelandse Ruiters - seeing service in German South West Africa. According to a published family history he was wounded in action at Willowmore during the drive to get Smuts out of the Cape.

Note the ribbons on the medals - although swapped round I much prefer them to the modern trend of replacing old original ribbon with the "new stuff"

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gorringe's Flying Column & 8th Mounted Rifles 6 years 4 months ago #56819

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice Rory, I think that Gorringe's were really superb, from their inception, at Graaff Reinet on the 5th of January 1901, they did a lot of hard work, whilst on anti commando duties, yet they are often both, forgotten and very sadly, these days, underrated by a great many.
On the subject of ribbon, I agree with you completely, they are part of the actual medals and once removed, gone forever, you know there was once a collector in Johannesburg, who removed all original ribbons and replaced them with nylon, a real shame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds