Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A pleasant Double Issue 5 years 5 months ago #60801

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2121
Dear Jon

In reacquainting myself with this topic today I inadvertently, but thankfully, stumbled across the solution to something which has long troubled me in respect of one of my own recipients. I have the QSA to Robert King, District Engineer, PWD, who, according to the Natal Who's Who of 1906, was "mentioned in dispatches" for the valuable work he did in Ladysmith during the Siege. See here www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...-dist-engineer#16835

I can't tell you how many hours I have spent trying to locate him in the London Gazette - all to no avail - until I saw the dispatch you provide above wherein the following is stated:

"Mr W. King, District Inspector, Public Works Department, Mr R Brooke and the officials of that department, rendered most valuable assistance in every possible way."

The "W. King" referred to is my man, beyond a shadow of a doubt!

Why had I revisited your post? Whilst going through some old papers I had copied at the Natal Archives I found the NGR Public Employees Superannuation Fund - of contributing members on 30 June 1905. I have a few men on the list and noticed your man Binnie as well. So here, for your benefit and others who may have medals to these men, is the list.

Regards

Rory

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: crypt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A pleasant Double Issue 5 years 5 months ago #60803

• crypt
  • crypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 179
Afternoon Rory

Just for the record, Binnie does not appear in the LG, or at least I can't find him although LT C.C. Sheen (RN) is clearly mentioned for his part in supplying water. The despatch as such was the one issued by Lt Gen Sir George White and I wonder if it was pruned by the War Office officials.
Nevertheless their names did come to the attention.

Regards
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.920 seconds