Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lieut-Gen Sir George Frederick Gorringe, KCB, KCMG, DSO 6 years 4 months ago #56840

• Henk Loots
  • Henk Loots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
A recent comment by Frank Kelley in another post read : I think that Gorringe's were really superb, from their inception, at Graaff Reinet on the 5th of January 1901, they did a lot of hard work, whilst on anti commando duties, yet they are often both, forgotten and very sadly, these days, underrated by a great many.
The major part of the Gorringe group was first offered to the collecting fraternity in the Spink Numismatic Circular of November 1963

By the time I bought the group 33 years ago the price had escalated to £4500- , but then included the KCB Badge & Star as well as the DSO and was without the unentitled TD. It also included a Badge and Star of the Rumanian Order of the Crown . This latter award I never queried, because it came with a LG extract that "confirmed" the award. Eight years ago it was pointed out to me that that the "Crown" award was cancelled and upgraded to the Rumanian Order of the Star. I was only able in recent months to find an example of this elusive Rumanian award. I also added the 1935 Jubilee and 1937 Coronation medals that he received in his capacity as Colonel Commandant, Royal Engineers.
Gorringe had a remarkable military career.

In the Sudan he designed and built the Palace at Khartoum, serving under Kitchener.
In December 1899 Kitchener was ordered to South Africa, taking Gorringe with him as ADC. In January1901 he was tasked by Kitchener to organize and command a body of mainly Cape loyalists to counter the movements of invading Boer forces and Cape rebels : Gorringe's Flying Column

After the Boer War he again served in the Sudan, adding a 10th bar to the Khedive's Sudan Medal
He had various commands in though First World War, the most notable being that of the 3rd Indian Army Corps in the Kut Relief Force and of the 47th (London) Division in France

Gorringe retired in 1924 and acted as Colonel Commandant of his original unit, the Royal Engineers, from 1927 to 1938
He died in October 1945 at the age of 77 : one would probably never know if he had WWII Home Guard service that entitled him to a Defence Medal!
Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI, Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lieut-Gen Sir George Frederick Gorringe, KCB, KCMG, DSO 6 years 4 months ago #56842

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455
Thank you Henk.

The Gorringe name is local to where I live in West Sussex, there is a firm of auctioneers. GF was born in Southwick which is just down the road from me. I have just checked where he lived and it turns out that I have been visiting his former home many times a year since 2006 - my son goes to school in the Manor House. "Well, I never!"

There are some interesting reminiscences of the Manor House and environs here .

The school is Shoreham College .

He is buried in St Julian’s churchyard which is right next to the school - I am off to get pictures.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Lieut-Gen Sir George Frederick Gorringe, KCB, KCMG, DSO 6 years 4 months ago #56843

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2159
Thanks Henk - very interesting. Have you a photo of the group you can post?

Lieut-Gen Sir George Frederick Gorringe, KCB, KCMG, DSO 6 years 4 months ago #56844

• Henk Loots
  • Henk Loots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Rory
Was in a rush when I posted and forgot to add the photo of the group!!

Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, LinneyI, David Grant, Rory, RobCT, Charl

Lieut-Gen Sir George Frederick Gorringe, KCB, KCMG, DSO 6 years 4 months ago #56845

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2159
One word Henk - stunning!

Lieut-Gen Sir George Frederick Gorringe, KCB, KCMG, DSO 6 years 4 months ago #56846

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883

Rory wrote: One word Henk - stunning!

My one word is Ditto to Rory.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.380 seconds