• Page:

TOPIC:

Reunited Medals 6 years 4 months ago #56974

• Crimeinvestigator
  • Crimeinvestigator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
I was very pleased to reunite the Queens South Africa medal to Capt QM Joseph Baker 18th Hussars with his Victorian LSGC medal named to him as 1115 Tp Sgt Maj J Baker 18th Hussars.

At first I was unsure if it was the same man but what clinched it is the London Gazette Entry of 17th July 1888 which states

18th Hussars, Regimental Sergeant-Major Joseph Baker to be Quartermaster, with the. honorary rank of Lieutenant, vice J. Merrill,' retired. Dated 18th July, 1888.

I have located some history of the two medals, the QSA sold in Spink in 1960 for £3 it Sold in DNW 24th Feb 2016 for £600 I purchased it from Chris Dixon just before Christmas.

The Army LSGC was sold at Lockdales 12th July 2014 for £105 I purchased it from Richard Black and it arrived today to be reunited after at least 58yrs apart

Joseph Baker was born in 1846 so by the time he went to South Africa to take on the Boers he was 53yrs old he had an active campaign being with the Hussars at Talana (Not their finest hour) the Defence Of Ladysmith Laings Nek & Belfast. He was placed on Half Pay on 1st January 1901 and was still shown on the QM Rank Captain Retired Lists in 1919

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley, Charl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Reunited Medals 6 years 4 months ago #56978

• George G
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
That is great!

Reunited Medals 6 years 4 months ago #56980

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice indeed, that particular QSA seemed to have been on the market for such a long time, I can only think some were put off by the price being sought, but, in all honesty, I do not feel it was in anyway over the top.
It certainly was not the finest hour for Queen Mary's Own, but, in all campaigns, this sort of thing happens, a combination of dangerous over confidence and an appallingly poor chain of command.
Really lovely medals.

Crimeinvestigator wrote: I was very pleased to reunite the Queens South Africa medal to Capt QM Joseph Baker 18th Hussars with his Victorian LSGC medal named to him as 1115 Tp Sgt Maj J Baker 18th Hussars.

At first I was unsure if it was the same man but what clinched it is the London Gazette Entry of 17th July 1888 which states

18th Hussars, Regimental Sergeant-Major Joseph Baker to be Quartermaster, with the. honorary rank of Lieutenant, vice J. Merrill,' retired. Dated 18th July, 1888.

I have located some history of the two medals, the QSA sold in Spink in 1960 for £3 it Sold in DNW 24th Feb 2016 for £600 I purchased it from Chris Dixon just before Christmas.

The Army LSGC was sold at Lockdales 12th July 2014 for £105 I purchased it from Richard Black and it arrived today to be reunited after at least 58yrs apart

Joseph Baker was born in 1846 so by the time he went to South Africa to take on the Boers he was 53yrs old he had an active campaign being with the Hussars at Talana (Not their finest hour) the Defence Of Ladysmith Laings Nek & Belfast. He was placed on Half Pay on 1st January 1901 and was still shown on the QM Rank Captain Retired Lists in 1919

Reunited Medals 6 years 4 months ago #57000

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
Crimeinvestigator,

That is great work to put to rights the separation from so long ago.

Here is a little more information for you.

Operation in Natal, 99 and Mar to Jun 00, including actions at Talana, Defence of Ladysmith and Laing's Nek (6 to 9 Jun 00). Operations in the Transvaal, east of Pretoria, Jul to 29 Nov 00, including action at Belfast (26 and 27 Aug 00) and Lydenburg (5 to 8 Sep). Placed on retired pay 1 Jan 01. QSA (5). Spink Nov 60 £3. Spink May 77 £75 | Ref: QSA: WO100/118p210
Dr David Biggins

Reunited Medals 6 years 4 months ago #57006

• Crimeinvestigator
  • Crimeinvestigator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Many thaks indeed for the information all helps for the resaerch file

Regards
Bryan

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.564 seconds