Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DCM Barton I Sgt. 2908, Manchester Regt, Mounted Infantry. 12 years 1 week ago #2779

• tonyd-1968
  • tonyd-1968's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello. I have just found and joined this great website. I am researching several of my ancestors who fought in the Boer War, one being Sergeant Isaac Barton No. 2908 2nd Manchester Regt. Mounted infantry. He was awarded the DCM, QSA (4 clasps), KSA as well as Long Service and Good Conduct Medals. I have discovered from this website that:- "The Johannesburg and Diamond Hill clasps are very rare to the Manchester Regiment. The Manchester Regiment gained the award of 27 D.C.M's. during the Boer War, just two of which were to the Mounted Infantry. DNW Sep 04 £2,100". I would be interested to hear from anyone who can tell me why he would have got the 'extremely rare' clasps and for what he got the DCM? It would also appear that his medals were sold by 'DNW' in 2004? Is it possible to get a picture of these; contact the seller; contact the purchaser? Looking forward to your responses.
PS
I am researching two other soldiers who do not appear in listings. How do I get them added to the website?

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: DCM Barton I Sgt. 2908, Manchester Regt, Mounted Infantry. 12 years 1 week ago #2788

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Hello Tony and welcome to the Forum.

I have not researched the Manchester Regiment in detail but I would speculate that the reason those clasps are scarce is because the mounted infantry section were separated from the main unit and therefore gained a different clasp entitlement. The MI sections were typically quite small too which would make the clasps they earned relatively rare. Can anyone confirm this?

In the DCM book there is sometimes an indication of why the DCM was issued but there is no such clue for Barton. The best route for trying to identify the reason for the award would probably be the regimental histories.

You can contact the auctioneers, DNW, at www.dnw.co.uk/medals/

Details of the sale of Barton's medals can be seen here: www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctionarchive/sear...l.lasso?itemid=43261

Re the missing information, if you send it to me, I can add it.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: DCM Barton I Sgt. 2908, Manchester Regt, Mounted Infantry. 12 years 4 days ago #2857

• tonyd-1968
  • tonyd-1968's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi David

Thanks for your response. I've just purchased the regimental history of the Manchester Regiment but unfortunately there is no account how Sgt. Barton won his DCM although he is listed in the book. As you recommend I will contact DNW to see if they can contact the buyer.
Regarding the other soldiers I am researching which need to be added to your lists they are as follows:-

Sgt. William Henry Finch No. 3127 1 Bn Suffolk Regt. (transferred to Sgt 2 Bn on 25/09/00, promoted to Colour Sgt on 23/01/04). QSA, KSA, LS & GC medals.

Pte. / L. Cpl Ernest Finch No. 1689 2 Bn Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regt). Ashanti Star, QSA and KSA medals (held at regimental museum).

Pte. William Griffin No. 3654 1 Bn Gordon Highlanders (wounded 11/12/99 Magersfontein).

Cpl E. Finch is interesting as he was on the Ashanti expedition, the last time the british army wore their red tunics on operation.

Regards

Tony

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.830 seconds