Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59069

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
Not necessarily if you give me the name of the man I could look up the medal roll for you and a friend of mine has a book which has lots of details on each person-Ist South Australian Mounted Rifles QSA'S are always impressed-only the 2nd and some members of the 4th had engraved medals-Officers were always the exception. The 2nd and 4th medals that are engraved were done locally so they could be presented at a parade on Rose Park Racecourse in I think 1901 by the Duke of York and normally these recipients had been invalided back early from South Africa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59070

• willow1899
  • willow1899's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Really, thanks George ,

Pinkney SC as on written on the QSA and on the Angioboerwar records. However, nominal roll, has the name spelt Pinstney. Regimental number is 76. 1st contingent South Australia Mounted Rifles. Clasps are: Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johhansberg, Diamond Hill and Belfast. NO 1901/02 clasps.

This is the only image I have of the medal rim showing the name (provided by seller)

Thanks, WilloW
Willow 1899
Attachments:

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59072

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
George and others interested
And not just South Australian M.R. QSA medals came with loose clasps - "loose" inasmuch as clasps riveted together but not attached to the medal's suspension. Apart from the Mullins pair to SA Bushmen, I have a similar example (unfortunately with block of clasps missing) to NSW Imperial Bushmen. Then there are the Canadian examples mentioned by Mike and a similar example in the collection to Ceylon M.I. Some clasps were issued many years later; one example I recall seeing was as late as 1913!
Personally, I don't worry about entitled-but-missing missing clasps on an interesting QSA. If I can obtain original clasps to slip on the ribbon, well and good.
Regards
IL.

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59073

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
He is on the roll W0 100/292 which is a U.K National Archives reference-he checks out for all 5 clasps and on the roll the name is spelt Pinkney which is what you would expect as the mint would have used the roll as its guide when naming the medal- if you send me an email to [email protected] I will send you a copy of the page of the roll-I live in Adelaide by the way

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59075

• willow1899
  • willow1899's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Such an unexpected and positive response. Thanks so much everyone. I have sent a PM to you George as the email you supplied bounced back, WilloW
Willow 1899

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59076

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The index for South Australia is interesting in it's own right.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.779 seconds