Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59077

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
I can see if I can add any light on this interesting index-here we go
The 1st South Australian Mounted Rifles had all returned before the end of 1900 so no extra clasp roll.
The majority of the 2nd had also returned but a few stayed behind and received the 01 clasp- the really interesting ones are the handful of these who came back to Australia and then returnedwith the Aust Commonwealth Horse and also gained the 02 bar giving them a 7 clasp medal.
In 40 years of studying South Australian QSA'S I have never sighted a genuine one, the closest I got was-in about 1980 I was shown a 7 bar by an Adelaide dealer named to Skinner-I didn't like what I saw as the medal was named with what looked like punch pricks and later research revealed that Skinner in fact got a QSA/KSA.
The remainder of the the South Australian Contingents all had service into 1901/02 hence the need for extra clasp rolls-at one stage I owned the microfilms that you could buy from the National Archives at Kew for all the Australian contingents-if I remember correctly they were very reasonably priced at the time.

Hope this helps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA clasps - issued with medal or sent at a later date ? 5 years 11 months ago #59084

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
In general terms it wasn't too unusual for clasps to be issued separately from QSAs. Entitled clasps for service with different units were sometimes issued separately. Date clasps were often issued separately and commonly with imperial Yeomanry QSAs. For some reason many OFS clasps to the 18th Hussars were issued late and many examples can be found with the OFS clasp mounted out of the usual sequence, unofficialy mounted (including with bits of thread) or missing altogether from entitled medals.

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: willow1899

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds