Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Harry Sparks 5 years 9 months ago #59137

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
I quote from the South African Military Who's Who :-
Sparks, Henry 'Harry' ( Springfield nr. Durban 3.3.1854-Durban 2.7.43 ) He was educated in Pietermaritzburg and was involved in the Griqua Rebellion when his family was taken prisoner. In 1876 he joined the Durban Mounted Rifles and fought in the 1879 Zulu War and the 1880 Transvaal War. He married Martha Garbutt and had two sons and two daughters. In 1982 he joined the Victioria Mounted Rifles and commanded the regiment from 1886-7 when it merged with the Natal Mounted Rifles. In 1897 he began the movement to restrict the immigration of Indians to Natal. During the SA War Captain Sparks served with the Natal Mounted Rifles. He saw action at Elandslaagte and the Siege of Ladysmith including the battle of Wagon Hill. Sparks then fought at Laings Nek and the Tvl and OFS. He was appointed CO of his regiment in 1904 and led them in the Bambata Rebellion of 1906. He retired in Sep. 1906 and became head of the pioneer cold storage firm, Sparks and Young "
His medals comprise 1) Colonial Volunteer Decoration - Lt. Col. NMR
2) SAGS ( 1879) Tpr Sparks Dn. Md Rifles
3) QSA ( Elands/Dol/Tvl/OFS.LN ) Captain , NMR
4) KSA - renamed
5) Natal ( 1906) Lt. Col, Natal Mtd Rifles
6) Vol LS ( Vic) Captain, NMR
I wasnt too happy about the renamed KSA but had a suspicion ( hope !) that he hadn't been entitled but put it up anyway. Rory very kindly sent me the relevant medal rolls which seemed to confirm my suspicion. An Officers Roll dated 10 June 1903 indicated the issue of a KSA but a subsequent roll dated October 1906 was a bit more thorough . This latter roll showed that he was only entitled to the SA1901 clasp. From the dates on this roll it seems that it was only finalised early in 1908. By this time he was out of the NMR and had probably been wearing the renamed KSA for 5 years. I have encountered many such instances of groups to Natal units with renamed KSAs and can only assume that there was a tacit agreement not to call anyone out for wearing it. I guess that they all felt that they were entitled no matter what the authorities said.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Rory, Georgegt351

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lt. Col. Harry Sparks 5 years 9 months ago #59138

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Top drawer stuff Mike - they don't come much better than that.

Thanks for sharing.

Lt. Col. Harry Sparks 5 years 9 months ago #59180

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
Thanks for your help , Rory.
I wonder if anyone else has an example of a KSAs being added to a group like this.
Regards
Mike

Lt. Col. Harry Sparks 5 years 9 months ago #59290

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
My sole contribution Mike - medals to William Lewis Powell, Oxfordshire L.I. - not entitled to a KSA but who was looking back in his day. Medals mounted for wear.

Attachments:

Lt. Col. Harry Sparks 5 years 8 months ago #59478

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Hi Mike

Great group. As you know I have his 6 foot 8 inches grandsons Victor Robert Clive Sparks (NMR, SA Irish and SAA) WW2 POW group.

Harry's one son (the father of my guy) was Victor Garbutt Sparks and reading your write-up now see where the Garbutt came from, his grandmothers maiden name. Victor played cricket for Natal and the OFS provincial sides 1919 to 1921.

I see another Garbutt in the picture, must have been Harry's brother in law?

Regards
Brian
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.538 seconds