• Page:

TOPIC:

Charles William Coleman unclaimed medals 5 years 5 months ago #60832

• kirkman
  • kirkman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi My GGGrandfather Charles William Coleman fought in the Boer war and several other wars in south africa. can anyone tell me what the names and dates mean on this document, I have 3 other pages of this and several of his medal rolls. some of the medals were not collected and wondering if there is any way to find these ?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles William Coleman unclaimed medals 5 years 5 months ago #60833

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Hello Kirkman

From what you have posted it seems that he was awarded a "Zulu" War medal along with a British South Africa Co. Medal.

You don't say which others there were.

Simply put, even if they were Boer War medals, the chances of getting any of these (including the ones I have mentioned above) officially issued are slim to none. If memory serves even WWI medals are no longer issued by the authorities. Your best bet would be to buy either copy medals (freely available on e.g. Ebay) or named or name-erased originals obtainable via the same medium or an auction house/dealer.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: kirkman

Charles William Coleman unclaimed medals 5 years 5 months ago #60834

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The MOD would not normally issue medals to third, forth, fifth and so on, generations, nor, would they actually have those particular medals to issue these days.
In the particular case of the BSA Co medal, it is important to remember that these were issued by the company itself and not the War Office.
Medals that were returned in the decades concerned may well have subsequently been renamed for official issue to other recipients.
If you know that your ancestor was in procession of a particular medal, the best place to start would be to ask around family members to see if it still remains extant within the family.

kirkman wrote: Hi My GGGrandfather Charles William Coleman fought in the Boer war and several other wars in south africa. can anyone tell me what the names and dates mean on this document, I have 3 other pages of this and several of his medal rolls. some of the medals were not collected and wondering if there is any way to find these ?

The following user(s) said Thank You: kirkman

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds