Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clasp entitlement for DLI serving in South Africa in 1902 5 years 6 months ago #60838

• dunnboer
  • dunnboer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 363
I have in my collection a QSA correctly named to 4386 L. Corpl: W. Clapham Durham Lt Infy. This bears clasps for Cape Colony, OFS, South Africa 01 and South Africa 02.

The only medal roll entry I can find is this one completed at Bankkop E. Transvaal on 17th April 1902. On every page of this roll the words "and clasps" have been struck through in the header and no clasp entitlement is shown for any of the men including Clapham although some of the men appear on other rolls with clasp entitlements.

Clapham's papers survive and show service in South Africa from 17-2-02 until 13-9-02 therefore the clasps with the medal are clearly wrong and the suspender bar has possibly been replaced.

Would this medal have originally been issued with no clasps or should he have been entitled to a SA02 at least and possibly a state clasp? I have checked out some of the other men on the roll page for similar service. 5486 Chelson for instance served in South Africa from 17-2-02 until 3-12-02 and appears on another roll with entitlement to Transvaal and SA02, which I wouldhave thought was Clapham's most likely clasp combination. I would welcome any of your expert opinions?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clasp entitlement for DLI serving in South Africa in 1902 5 years 6 months ago #60844

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Paul

I agree with your conclusion regarding his likely entitlement to SA02 and another state clasp. Like you I cannot find him in the rolls - Ancestry and my own copy. A good mystery.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: dunnboer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.527 seconds